Error uploading attachments

DaveL

Afternoon,
Seem to have an issue that only affects a few users. When they try and upload a file via the resource manager, it gets to 100% then comes up with an error.

Looking at my server logs, it states:
[proxy_fcgi:error] [pid 29134] (32)Broken pipe: [client 193.116.243.173:62125] AH01075: Error dispatching request to : (sending stdin)

They have provided me we a screenshot after pressing F12 which shows this:
1663972838668.webp

They have also recorded the process here - https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Ko7S8FXcc0Zp8ceyKKXS_aqQIhVdu9rf/view?usp=sharing

I can't seem to replicate the issue, but it's certainly happening to a few people.
Any help/suggestions greatly appreciated.

what php version? image handler and version?

we recently had to rebuild an older version of imagick due to something like this
I'm using php version 7.3.33 - Where do I need to look to find the image handler/version? I've tried looking on php info but can't seem to locate it.
Phpinfo does say - Imagick support: No

Last edited:
I'm using php version 7.3.33 - Where do I need to look to find the image handler/version? I've tried looking on php info but can't seem to locate it.
Phpinfo does say - Imagick support: No
Is there a particular reason you are so far out of date on your PHP?
Even PHP 7.4 loses security fix support in just a month or so.
And if you are running a current version of XenForo, running outdated PHP can introduce problems itself into the mix that a more current version resolved.
Sometimes you simply have to "bite the bullet" and get your core infrastructure brought up to date. And I've seen that include having to set up an entirely new instance of the server, import the site to it and go from there as there reaches a point that clean upgrades cannot reliably be done, especially if one has put them off for any length of time.

Is there a particular reason you are so far out of date on your PHP?
Even PHP 7.4 loses security fix support in just a month or so.
And if you are running a current version of XenForo, running outdated PHP can introduce problems itself into the mix that a more current version resolved.
Sometimes you simply have to "bite the bullet" and get your core infrastructure brought up to date. And I've seen that include having to set up an entirely new instance of the server, import the site to it and go from there as there reaches a point that clean upgrades cannot reliably be done, especially if one has put them off for any length of time.
Thank you, can I ask which version of php you would recommend for xenforo and i'll look at getting it upgraded?

I currently run 8.0.23 on my sites.... I would not recommend the 8.1 line yet as XF does not officially support it last I knew.
I'll be damned. It seems you're right they still haven't added 8.1 support officially. Although I can confirm that it works without issue.

I'll be damned. It seems you're right they still haven't added 8.1 support officially. Although I can confirm that it works without issue.
I think I remember seeing an issue here and there (mainly add-ons) that had 8.1 issues... it's why I don't recommend it. The current is the 8.0.xx line that is the highest recommended.

It's been almost a year. I wonder what the reasoning is...
Maybe stuff like this that is still showing up with 8.0.23 (just enabled opcache with it)

Seems this issue is back again after moving server. Increased all the php time outs, but no joy.
Attachment via resource manager got to 100% but then wouldn't save. Error log showed the same broken pipe error. Using php 8 now.

I'm battling a "similar" issue, but mine involves using the ACP to upload updates to add-ons or even XF's actual updates. And it didn't start happening until I moved to another VPS instance. I know it's going to most likely be a PHP setting I modified... just have to figure out which one it is.
Mine is caused by the PHP process apparently getting killed and then the site gives a 503 error - but as I said, it's from the ACP.

Screen Shot 2022-10-15 at 6.34.38 PM.png

Have you actually examined your PHP logs?

I'm battling a "similar" issue, but mine involves using the ACP to upload updates to add-ons or even XF's actual updates. And it didn't start happening until I moved to another VPS instance. I know it's going to most likely be a PHP setting I modified... just have to figure out which one it is.
Mine is caused by the PHP process apparently getting killed and then the site gives a 503 error - but as I said, it's from the ACP.

View attachment 275072

Have you actually examined your PHP logs?
Thanks for the reply. When I started this thread it was a few users, however now it's myself included!

Latest XF and XFRM. Attachment size settings have all been increased in the ACP.
Attached a file (335MB), however once at 100% and I click on save it says "Opps we ran into a problem, you must upload a file"
In my server domain error log I get:

[proxy_fcgi:error] [pid 26086] (32)Broken pipe: [client 86.7.101.156:56391] AH01075: Error dispatching request to : (sending stdin), referer: https://xlightsseq.com/sequences/sm...erfly-wings-and-enter-sandman.334/post-update

Looking at the browser debug it comes back with a 503 (Service Unavailable) error.

Server is CentOS 7.9, My control panel is Webuzo

These are my php settings:
PHP version 8.0.24
MySQL version 10.6.10 (10.6.10-MariaDB)
PHP post_max_size 2048M
PHP memory_limit 2068M
PHP upload_max_filesize 2000M
PHP max_input_vars 4000
PHP max_execution_time 1200

Apache 2.4
RequestReadTimeout handshake=0 header=20-1200, MinRate=500 body=20,MinRate=500

I've been searching non stop and seen people mention similar issues which have been caused by mod security, however it looks like i've got none installed. I also un # the top lines of the htaccess file which talks about mod_security, but still had the same issue when I tried to upload.
Any help really would be appreciated, as my site is a little defunct if members are unable to upload the files. Spoken to the server company many times and they are nothing better then useless.

Top Bottom