eReader, do you use one?

Peggy

I'm seriously considering purchasing an Amazon Kindle eReader.

Does anyone here happen to have one? How do you like it?
Or do you use another eReader? Please comment.

Thanks!

I wish the iPad was color eInk and as responsive as a retina display on iphone, and that sharp.
Since that's not the case, and the Kindle is just that.. a reader. While I desire a bit more out of a device.
I will go with the iPad2 once it's out and I have the money for it. Until then I am using a 20" monitor rotated or a real book.

The new kindle is really nice, and the screen reads really nice, but you need light in the room to see on it at night.

We use the iPad and have the Kindle app on it. I like the fact that while I can use the Kindle app, I am not locked into just reading books, I can do other things as well.

What other things are you referring to? On Kindle, you can surf the web, use twitter and Facebook, play games, etc. What else would you need to do?

I'm getting the Kindle specifically because it doesn't have the backlight. I can't stand glare, it blinds me. They sell a booklight that snaps on to the Kindle for reading in the dark, so I'm going to get it, even tho I rarely, if ever, read in the dark.

My eyesight is becoming such that it's difficult for me to read a book, even with my glasses on, unless it's in large text.
Plus I can take hundreds of books with me whereever I go. :)

Sure, you can do twitter and facebook, but not like you can do twitter and facebook on the computer, via a real browser, or dedicated app as done on ipad.

kindle
113168575.hZc83jXw.mImg_3175r.jpg

ipad
social-main.jpg

Take a guess at which one is usable ..

Yeah on Kindle, it looks much like it does on my iPhone, which is how I access both when I'm at work at night.
So that wouldn't take much getting used to.

I have had a Kindle for several years. I purchased mine while it was still expensive. I gave one to my wife for Christmas. It only cost $139. Even at the higher price, it was a value for me. I have poor vision and I'm able to enlarge the text making it much easier to read. It also has a built in text to speech application for books that the publisher has not disabled.

The eInk is very clear and high contrast. You can read it for much longer periods of time that you can read a computer display. The newer version my wife has it noticeably better than mine in a side to side comparison. I still like the larger size and button placement on mine, so I will use it until it fails.

Another feature I like is the small size and reduce weight when compared to a physical book. Even with paperbacks, it is much lighter. There is simply no comparison with with a hardback. With my poor vision, I have to hold reading material fairly close to my face, so for me, the weight is very significant.

As someone mentioned, you can obtain Kindle applications for most computer formats, PC, Mac, most smart phones, and tablet PCs. They are very handy. When I am stuck somewhere with only my iPhone, I still read all of my Kindle books. You can download any of the books you have purchased to any device you are reading from. I have hundreds of books including reference books. I can obtain any of them in a short period of time just about wherever I am at.

I also have a subscription to one daily newspaper and a couple of magazines. The ones that I read are very well priced.

The only negative for me is reading textbooks and technical material. I still prefer having the real book so I can easily scribble in the margins. You can easily add notes to the Kindle as well, so it shouldn't be an issue. But I still prefer paper in that situation.

For me, the Kindle system is still the best. I am an avid reader and check out the new models whenever they become available. I was at Barnes & Noble this afternoon. I have been asked to tutor a kid at the local high school in Geometry and needed a reference. The new color Nook looks very nice but it is back lit.

BTW, you can now get games and puzzles for the Kindle. I have chess, soduku, NY Times crossword puzzles, and a couple of interactive mystery novels that are enjoyable.

I hope this helped, Debbie and I really like our Kindles, our reading habits make them worth the cost.

Jeff

Well, not only do I have the Kindle app, I have other e reader apps too. Such as the Nook, iBook, eBookReader, and the eReader.

Yes, I can access FB and Twitter, but I can also access a web browser. Handle documents, (like all my recipes are on my iPad, I've hauled it into the kitchen while making something so I don't have to print out a recipe over and over wasting paper), I have some music apps on my iPad, some cookbooks.

I can surf thru Amazon thru it's app or go to the web site on the browser, I have financial apps, and of course, games. Actually my iPad is just an extension of my iPhone. And can do most of what my computer can do so that if I am in the car and don't want to put my 17" laptop in my lap while my husband is driving to find things, I can pull up the iPad and pull up mapquest there. Or pull up a browser to find things if we need to find someplace in a hurry.

I can see why the Kindle would be a good choice for many but for me it was too limiting.

I'm holding out personally. I was considering the kindle for reading books but I'm wanting more than just reading ebooks so the lack of a colour screen is still holding me back with regards to the kindle which could be a restriction.

I can actually surf the web on my Kindel, in B&W. I have done it in a pinch.

The Kindle is best at doing what it was designed to do: read books. In that capacity, it is the best tool.

My Old Timer pocket knife that is really good at being a knife. I have Letherman that has a knife, when I need a pocket screwdriver, I grab the Letherman.

Jeff ;)

PS. The Old Timer fits nicely in the pocket, the Leatherman has a belt sheath.

Thanks for that review Jeff. Very informative.

When I first looked up the Kindle today, I did read that you can download some games, puzzles, etc. That helps me at work. See I work Thurs - Sat nights from 11pm - 7am, taking care of a lady who has dementia and is in an assisted living facility apartment. She sleeps all night, we're really just there to help her with personal care, and to prevent her from falling when she gets up. Sooooooooo I'm there all night, 3 nights a week, and as quiet as it is, it is very difficult to keep from falling asleep, even tho I've slept during the day. I've been using my iPhone to browse the web, and play games, tweet and visit FB, etc all night. (along with walking around and drinking loads of coffee). After a while, the iPhone screen is a strain on the eyes. And reading a book becomes a blurry mess even with my glasses on.

I like that there is no backlight, and that you can adjust the text size, highlight certain text, and play games and puzzles.
This really sounds like what I'm looking for, simplicity, and at a great price.

The Kindle is best at doing what it was designed to do: read books. In that capacity, it is the best tool.

That's true, it is best as an ereader. But what I wanted was not just an ereader. So I opted for the multipurpose tool. Had I wanted the single purpose tool, I would have opted for a Kindle.

Another feature I forgot to mention with the Kindle is the size. It is about the size of a thin paperback book. I really like and want an iPad. I just wish it was a little smaller. It is just too big. I'm hoping that Apple or another manufacturer will make one smaller that is the same quality as the iPad. I may have to settle for an iPad. I'm going to wait until the newer version is available and check the competitors at that time. If a competitor doesn't have something suitable, I'm hoping to pick up the older iPad at a discount.

Hi Peggy,

I would try to borrow a Kindle from someone. In the early days of Kindle, Amazon actually had a referral program set up. You could use it for a couple of days to see if it is what you need.

You could always get one from Amazon and return it if it turns out unsatisfactory. There return policy is pretty good.

If you are near Houston, you can borrow mine.

Jeff

Hi Peggy,
I would try to borrow a Kindle from someone. In the early days of Kindle, Amazon actually had a referral program set up. You could use it for a couple of days to see if it is what you need.
You could always get one from Amazon and return it if it turns out unsatisfactory. There return policy is pretty good.
If you are near Houston, you can borrow mine.

Jeff

Thank you for the offer Jeff.

I live in Ohio. Nice thing about the Staples up here is that they let you taking it to a "customer room" and use it for a little while. Same thing with laptops, etc.
I did that this evening after dinner, which is why I'm 99% sure that I want to get the Kindle. Almost purchased it tonight, but need to wait for my next paycheck. :(

I did go to eBay tonight and purchase my red sleeve for it. HALF the price of the exact same one in the store. yayy me!

I have an iPad myself, and Mrs TA has a kobo eReader.

kindle is too restricted (you can only get stuff from amazon)
the kobo eReader is nice to read on, but dog slow .. 1 second delay on every page turn .. boring

Top Bottom