1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XF 1.2 Erase thousands of soft deleted threads

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting and Problems' started by Donny, Feb 9, 2014.

1. Donny

Donny Active Member

I've managed to soft delete around 170,000 spam messages via phpmyadmin using some code I found on here (thanks for that). Now I'd like to somebody fully erase the spam from the forum, as browsing for the moderators and admins is horrible.

Is there a way to do this?

2. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

Use the Batch Update Threads function to search for all deleted threads.

Then delete them.

3. Donny

Donny Active Member

Brogan, I love you.

4. Brogan

Steady on chap! :D

To be honest I had forgotten that was possible until I looked into it after seeing your post.

Donny likes this.
  5. AndyB

AndyB Well-Known Member

If I understand correctly, the Batch Update Threads will hard delete threads only. Meaning unless post #1 was soft deleted it will remain after the Batch Update Threads.

Donny likes this.
  6. Brogan

If a thread is hard deleted it will also hard delete any posts within that thread.

Donny likes this.
  7. Donny

Donny Active Member

What's going on with my site now is exactly what I want. I've not soft-deleted existing genuine threads. Just (what feels like millions) thousands of thread'-starters?'.

I'm still newish to Xen, old VB user. I'd looked for a good while trust me, so thanks for looking yourself.

8. AndyB

AndyB Well-Known Member

Let me provide an example. Lets say you soft delete post #2 of a thread. If you run the Batch Update Threads tool and select soft deleted threads, it will not delete that thread because it's post #2.

9. Brogan

Well that stands to reason as the function is related to threads, not posts.

10. Donny

Donny Active Member

Yeah that's fine don't worry about it. Don't go off topic here. You lads are required in actual threads that have actual issues still going on!
    You're both good.

Pack it in! haha