1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XF 1.1 Engaged in Conversation

Discussion in 'XenForo Questions and Support' started by lazer, Aug 11, 2013.

1. lazer

lazer Well-Known Member

Hey all :)

How can a new member (who hasn't confirmed their account) show as "Engaged in Conversation"?

Capture.PNG
    I have just registered a test user (un-confirmed) and the "Start a Conversation" links are not available to any non-confirmed member. Also, I tried pasting the known link to start a conversation:
    HTML:
    http://www.xxxx.com/forum/conversations/add?to=member_name
    ..and I was met with a "No Permission" page, as expected.

erich37 likes this.
  2. Jeremy

Jeremy XenForo Moderator Staff Member

I believe (I'd have to verify in code) accessing that page still sets the action, but doesn't mean they are actually doing anything.

3. lazer

lazer Well-Known Member

So, is it safe to say (as the links are not visible on profiles) that they are deliberately pasting in the conversation start link?

4. JulianD

JulianD Well-Known Member

It may be a spam bot who knows where to go exactly.

5. Jeremy

Yes, if you don't have permission, they shouldn't display (IIRC, haven't checked the code today).

6. lazer

lazer Well-Known Member

Hm..not sure. I was bored and I followed the user...

Register
    Manage Profile
    Members
    Manage Profile
    Search (for about 2 mins)
    Engaged in Conversation

7. lazer

lazer Well-Known Member

Couple of screenies with redacted name and email.

Capture.PNG

Capture1.PNG

8. JulianD

JulianD Well-Known Member

Try to match your web server logs with the user's IP and see if there is a referer when s/he access the conversation link.

9. lazer

lazer Well-Known Member

No other user has this IP. We also use a multi account mod and that hasn't flagged either.

10. Jeremy

The Start a Conversation link will appear if you yourself has permissions to create a conversation.

11. lazer

lazer Well-Known Member

That's correct & un-confirmed members definitely do not have that link available as they have no permission to start a conversation.