Encourage 'like' button use by creating a trend page for 'liked' posts/threads

DomainArchitect.com

Please like this post if you approve.

While reading through another thread where members began to post 'me too' '+1' and I saw Kier's post, which stated "Or there's the Like button, whose purpose is partly to avoid +1 and 'me too' posts..."

That got me thinking. It would be cool to see a trending page for posts and threads that have been liked. It would not only have the added benefit of encouraging the purpose of the 'like' button (and cut down on useless posts), but will also give members insight into what other members like and possibly introduce them to new threads or topics they might not otherwise discover! Almost like a barometer of what conversation/topics the membership likes.

I understand some people may feel this will add 'bloat' to the base installation so if you feel that way, please share your comments, but if you still like the idea then please don't hesitate to like it!

EDIT (this was added a few days after I gave the concept further thought:

A page like the one I am about to describe could represent the pulse of the forum for new and returning visitors. It could help grow forums quicker than might otherwise be possible using other forum software because this page will encourage positive contributions to the site. Perhaps some will consider the following page worthy of an add-on rather than a tweak, or small upgrade. Still, it may enhance the forum software in ways that few of us can imagine at the present moment.

The page will display certain stats:

5 Top Liked Threads (for specific terms, like the last 24 hours, the last 7 days, the last month, the last year, overall).

* - This will help new and returning visitors learn about the threads that members like most.

Top 5 Most Valueable Members (for specific terms, like the last 24 hours, the last 7 days, the last month, the last year, overall).

* - This will help new and returning visitors learn about the members who are truly most valuable to the community.

A member's value to the community can be measured by the ratio of average 'likes'/thread started or avg 'likes'/post, or both. (It might be interesting to display on a member's profile since these measurements of a member's value to the community, which allows other people to evaluate other members).

To address the issue of 'like' abuse by certain members who will conspire to 'like' threads created by the other person, you could limit the number of likes one can give out based on membership history, one's value to the community, or simply by the number of likes one can give out per day. I am sure others can think of other ways to do this as well, but that can be worked out.

Upvote 38
I'm still trying to understand the all benefits of the Like feature. From what I understand, the Like feature offers the following:

1) A way to say "thanks I like you post" without having to create a post
2) A way to encourage members to post meaningful posts to accumulate Like points
3) A way to analyze internally those posts which have many Likes to be able to compare ideas better

I'm starting to understand better why the Like feature exists. Thanks Kier.
4) In theory, it can reduce necroposting when people want to acknowledge/thank an older post which could be a reference article.

Speaking of learning, Kier, can you tell us how the code works when the number of likes are displayed under a post.

For example, a liked post might have: "User 1, User 2, User 3 and XX others like this post."

Are User 1, User 2, and User 3, the most recent members to 'like' that particular post?
Pretty sure they are, at least from how its looked after I've liked a post, or someone has liked mine.

This would be good if integrated into the news feed, perhaps a sidebar block with "most liked posts in last X days".

I like this idea, it would encourage quality or funny or moving or interesting posting.. everyone would be trying to get on that board.

However downside, I can see it being abused by friends madly liking each others posts... just for the sake of it, not sure how you work around that without destroying everything that is wonderful about the Like button and the spontaneity it encourages.

Top Bottom