1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Emulating Email discussion list functionality

Discussion in 'XenForo Pre-Sales Questions' started by Main Company, Feb 11, 2014.

1. Main Company

Main Company Active Member

I realize that it's pretty standard for a discussion forum to send out email activity notifications to users who are following threads. However, I wonder if there is any capability, either natively or via addons, to allow a register user to engage with the forum via email. This would mean receiving thread posts via email as well as being able to respond to thread posts with a reply via email?

2. whynot

whynot Well-Known Member

Unfortunately there is no such function is available.

3. Main Company

It looks like the thread notifications include the content of the post. But, a user always must visit the web site in order to post or reply, is that accurate?

4. whynot

whynot Well-Known Member

Correct.

5. Main Company

Okay - Thank you.

How do mobile users reply to a thread? Are their mobile apps, or do they employ their mobile browser using a mobile version of the forum?

6. ForestForTrees

ForestForTrees Well-Known Member

XenForo uses "responsive design," which means that the CSS adapts for small screen sizes. It looks great on a cell phone and I find myself checking my forum whenever I have a free moment.

You can simulate what you mobile users will see by resizing your browser window to be quite small. Note how the page reorients itself. It's pretty cool.

7. Main Company

I just stumbled upon an old one of @Jeremy 's posts that will allow me to achieve most of the functionality that I desire. From what I understand, this will allow Watched Threads to continue to produce alerts and email notifications, even if the watched thread remains unread by the watching member. Thanks @Jeremy.

I know others have been looking for similar functionality as I've seen quite a few other similar requests by other members here. Hence, i thought I would share what I found in hopes it helps others.