XF 2.0 Emoji support?

RobParker

Can someone please explain what is supported and how it works?

emojis in posts looks great on my iPhone but look awful on one of our mods windows machines.

My understanding is an emoji is just a Unicode character and then pulls the image for that character from the system, just like pulling a font.

Maybe I've misunderstood but I thought by supporting emojiOne, that those were the images that would be loaded rather than the default system ones.

Is there a simple way to stop "bad" versions loading and instead pull from a different (better) source?

My understanding is an emoji is just a Unicode character and then pulls the image for that character from the system, just like pulling a font.
That's exactly correct.
Maybe I've misunderstood but I thought by supporting emojiOne, that those were the images that would be loaded rather than the default system ones.
We only use their graphics, at this stage, for our default smilie set. Expanding EmojiOne support so that there's consistent emoji artwork throughout the site is under consideration for the future.

Is there a simple way to stop "bad" versions loading and instead pull from a different (better) source?
Simply, no. It's equivalent to using an outdated browser - you're going to get a worse experience with things that don't look how they were designed to. The recommended solution is for users to upgrade. Windows 10 has full emoji support now, I believe.

EDIT: That said, if they use a modern browser like Firefox or Chrome then they might have their own solutions built in. If not, then EmojiOne does have a browser extension (at least for Chrome) so your user could just install that and it should work even on an older version of Windows.

Top Bottom