Lack of interest Embedding downloads in articles?

This suggestion has been closed automatically because it did not receive enough votes over an extended period of time. If you wish to see this, please search for an open suggestion and, if you don't find any, post a new one.

Luxus

Hi,

heavily depending on the capabilities of the Resource Manager I may use Joomla in combination with XenForo or XenForo alone and XenPorta for a CMS. There is a free download component available for Joomla named jDownloads, which has a Content plugin that allows you to embed a summary of a download including small download statistics in an article. You have to put a special string in an article to embed a summary.

{jd_file file==#ID}

While #ID is the unique ID of a download.

My question is, will the Resource Manager support this or something similar? I would so love to use the Resource Manager, but if it won't support download embedding in articles/forum posts I have no use of it, because if I am forced to use Joomla I may as well use jDownloads.

Upvote 0
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
Looking at the Resource Manager version installed here, it's unlikely to include this feature by default.

What would "embedding a download" into a page or forum post look like, though?

I'm thinking that it's likely to be possible by way of an add-on. I can kind of picture a custom BB code for it but it all depends on exactly what information you want embedding and whether it's some how possible to access that via some sort of callback.

Yeah I reckon it would be possible - in theory - but obviously none of us have ever seen Resource Manager from a code perspective.

As long as we can code some sort of PHP callback which will retrieve the info of a resource from the resource manager, it should be possible to parse that in a nice format probably via a custom BB Code.

Something like:

[resource]http://xenforo.com/community/resources/valvetime-net-linkedin-share-button.710/[/resource]

With coding it sure is possible, but how probable will it be that someone creates such an add-on if Resource Manager doesn't support this out of the box?

Well, I wish the XF devs would say something about this.

It's very likely someone here would take it on. It's something I'd happily try but there are much better coders out there than me ;)

But yeah, you'd just request it in the Add On Request forum and someone will either just make it for you or tell you how much they think their time would cost to develop it.

I'm not sure why you'd want the XF devs to comment. You can see the functionality of the Resource Manager right here. It doesn't, unless it's an unannounced feature, support this. And seeing as the jDownloads feature itself doesn't support this without a plugin it should hardly be a surprise :)

I've seen lots of magical add-ons created for a wide variety of different requirements on these forums. I'm certain this will happen for you once requested and once we all have access to the Resource Manager.

I'm not sure why you'd want the XF devs to comment. You can see the functionality of the Resource Manager right here. It doesn't, unless it's an unannounced feature, support this.
Since the Resource Manager is still in development new features can be added at any time. I would simply like to know from the devs if such a feature is planned or not and if not, if they are willing to add this before the public release.

And seeing as the jDownloads feature itself doesn't support this without a plugin it should hardly be a surprise :)
The Content plugin of jDownloads is an official plugin from the dev of jDownloads. He released this functionality as a plugin because not everyone wants to embed files in articles and it's better for security to provide this funtionality with a plugin to avoid unnecessary security holes because of a not used functionality for people who aren't interested in it.

Top Bottom