Implemented Embed Album

Summit

I don't know if this is already in, or if people would want this if it isn't. However, I think having the ability to embed an album would be quite cool. Something like how imgur does it. All the pictures within that album can be embedded into a slideshow on a forum post.

Upvote 14
This suggestion has been implemented. Votes are no longer accepted.
Bump for this suggestion! :)

Just tried out a demo of XMG hoping this feature would exist and the lack of the ability to embed an album into a post/thread puts me on the fence.

I run a sports community and we get photo credentials to cover events. We typically just upload the images into a directory on a web server then use the IMG tag to embed ~100 images into a single "photo" thread dedicated for the event however this looks really clunky and requires users to scroll down a long way to view all images. Was hoping that there was an addon that would allow embedding a set of photos into a single post (via a slider or some other mechanism).

I have also liked this as it could be made optional.

It would expose the galleries section to members more frequently too!

We have obviously had the ability to embed individual media items in XFMG for a while, and these have had a face lift in XFMG 2.0:

But we've also added the ability to embed albums too:
How do you embed images into the forum like this pre 2.0? Thanks.

With the GALLERY bb code. It's the same in XFMG 2.0 but it now supports albums.

Also in XFMG 1.x you can use the camera icon in the editor. That functionality is coming to 2.0 soon.

Does XFMG 1.2 currently have any method of embedding Albums (not just individual photos)? This seems like a super basic feature... can't find it anywhere (and can't upgrade to XFMG 2.X)

If not... could this be done with an add-on?

You beat me to it... this is a HUGE bummer.

How is a "Gallery" even a Gallery if you can't embed an actual gallery and instead only 1 photo at a time? Any alternative solutions that can be integrated? This is something we definitely need.

I've got XF running with tons of customizations and add-ons that would take weeks to migrate. Not to mention the cost of paying the web developer, Android developer, and Themer to make all the changes. Unfortunately it's just not possible right now, unless I want to lose all our functionality and start over so that... I can embed albums which sounds like a feature from vBulletin 2005.

I can embed albums which sounds like a feature from vBulletin 2005.
You can't embed your albums into posts in vBulletin 4.x, if that's what you're saying. Not that it matters.

While I would love to have a solution for you, it's just simply the case that we didn't add it until XFMG 2.x so all I can suggest is upgrading or accepting that the function doesn't exist in the version that you are using.

I don't think it's unfair to expect a $65 "Media Gallery" to have the capability of embedding more than 1 photo at a time in a post. Even the examples above in 2.X seem rudimentary- does it support lightbox from threads? Any modern formatting options? Or it just links the thumbnails to the Media Page which itself still seems dated.

Hate to be a debbie downer and so critical but was not expecting the 1.X version or 2.X version to appear so behind the times. Maybe others would disagree and if you do- I'm all ears. Would be delighted to be proven otherwise.

all I can suggest is upgrading or accepting that the function doesn't exist in the version that you are using.

That's a fair comment. But are you also suggesting this would be difficult or impossible to accomplish with a 3rd party solution? I'm most likely going to have to hire someone to build this (if I can find someone).

Top Bottom