XF 2.3 Email to from failed: Unable to connect with STARTTLS: stream_socket_enable_crypto(): SSL operation failed with code 1. OpenSSL Error messages: error

JasonBrody

Hey Guys,
So everything was going all fine, but yesterday I moved my site to a dedicated hosting, and after that I kept getting these errors, I tried to uninstall and re-install SSL multiple times (by disabling or enabling cloudflare), but nothing helped. No emails are being sent currently.

Can anyone suggest what could be causing the issue and what would be the solution ? I tried searching here for the solution, but nothing seemed relevant much to address it completely.
2024-07-29_100030.webp

2024-07-29_100121.webp
2024-07-29_100139.webp

There are two server errors, one seems to be relative to bounce and unsubscribe emails, redirected to a gmail adress? (pop protocol).
For the STARTTLS error see here:

Yes, I am using AWS SES SMTP with 587 port (reconfigured to enable back the SSL/TLS option) .
As per official IANA registration port 587 is message submission, see RFC 6409.

A SMTP server that is following the standards (I assume SES does) will not support implicit TLS (SSL) on this port but only plaintext with STARTTLS - implicit TLS (SSL) is usually done on port 465.

1722368955731.webp

Tl;Dr Do not enable checkbox Use SSL/TLS for SES - this does not work.

Hey Guys,
I kept the Xenforo SMTP etc configuration same, as I guessed there would be some server level issue (as I migrated to some other server).

Finally today, moved from CWP (AlmaLinux 8/9) to Plesk (Ubuntu 24 LTS) with general config and everything works perfectly as it should.

Back
Top Bottom