email program? What to use question.

Dean

in memoriam
I am fairly new to the forums/server scene.

I have been with 2 different hosting providers, and they both have had the same options for email.
  1. squirrel mail
  2. Horde
  3. Webmail (Round cube)
#3 seems the best, but the search (they call it filter) is definitely erratic behaving and I *cannot* trust it. I have been forwarding copies to a free email account and not deleting those copies, so that I can have a reliable way of searching through emails.

It occurred to me that others on this forum may have more experience with dealing with emails than I do.

How do you handle email?

Well I have hosted email, I just choose to use Outlook as my email client instead of the ones provided by my ISP which are, unsurprisingly, SquirrelMail, Horde and roundcube.

our server is hosted by Pair, and we use their email manager and forward to staff personal email accounts so they have an email address that's linked to our domain but goes to their regular inbox. That works well for us. :) I use Gmail for my own email account.

Yep! I have 4 domains through Google Apps. All going to a single account, and it captures any @domain email, which can be both good and bad :p

it would probably become a problem if you have users connected to those domains.

you would not be able to have different email ids like this:

john@domain1.com
john@domain2.com

both would be technically the same addresses.

but in your case... you are probably using admin or any other id... and it accepts email for all the domains.

i could probably use this on 2-3 of the 4-5 domains associated with google apps. i never thought of doing it till now!

I have enjoyed RoundCube and Google Apps. Currently I use MobileMe and I enjoy it a lot, it's a paid service but it guarantees your information is saved and whatnot.

Well I have hosted email, I just choose to use Outlook as my email client instead of the ones provided by my ISP which are, unsurprisingly, SquirrelMail, Horde and roundcube.
I was in an airport a long time ago. A business person synced their email while waiting for a plane. They spent the 2 hours of the flight typing replies to the multitude of emails they had received.

Later, when they got off the plane, they re-synced using the airports wireless internet connection.

Does using outlook allow for that? Clearly I am not well informed about these things, but it seems all the other options being discussed may not be conducive to writing emails with no internet connection.

mmm outlook (and thunderbird and postbox express and any other desktop client) can certainly download your emails and you can reply to them in offline mode. even gmail supports offline mode through gears technology.

Google Apps and Gmail is what I use.

Every 6 months or so I pop3 download all the mails to Mail.app so I have a local copy as well.

Top Bottom