XF 2.1 Email of Alerts Failing

Ark Royal

I am sure this is a problem with my hosts but I do have an inconsistency that I do not understand.

I am getting a number of log entries a day like these

1551429367747.webp
Which implies that there is a problem mail3.gridhost.co.uk. However it does not affect everybody and happens intermittently.
The strange thing is that if I generate an email and send it to all members I do not get any connection timed out errors.

This implies to me that the forum is configured correctly to communicate with mail3.gridhost.co.uk but I do not understand why some alerts are not being emailed?

Swift_TransportException: Email to xxxxx.com failed: Connection could not be established with host mail3.gridhost.co.uk [Connection timed out #110]
src/vendor/swiftmailer/swiftmailer/lib/classes/Swift/Transport/StreamBuffer.php:277

Stack trace

#0 src/vendor/swiftmailer/swiftmailer/lib/classes/Swift/Transport/StreamBuffer.php(62): Swift_Transport_StreamBuffer->_establishSocketConnection()
#1 src/vendor/swiftmailer/swiftmailer/lib/classes/Swift/Transport/AbstractSmtpTransport.php(113): Swift_Transport_StreamBuffer->initialize(Array)
#2 src/XF/Mail/Mailer.php(274): Swift_Transport_AbstractSmtpTransport->start()
#3 src/XF/Mail/Queue.php(138): XF\Mail\Mailer->send(Object(Swift_Message), Object(Swift_SmtpTransport), Array)
#4 src/XF/Job/MailQueue.php(12): XF\Mail\Queue->run(G)
#5 src/XF/Job/Manager.php(253): XF\Job\MailQueue->run(G)
#6 src/XF/Job/Manager.php(195): XF\Job\Manager->runJobInternal(Array, G)
#7 src/XF/Job/Manager.php(79): XF\Job\Manager->runJobEntry(Array, G)
#8 job.php(42): XF\Job\Manager->runQueue(false, 8)
#9 {main}

Request state

array(4) {
["url"] => string(16) "/XenForo/job.php"
["referrer"] => string(112) "https://www.theukbettingforum.co.uk...g-blog-with-descriptive-detail.57806/page-164"
["_GET"] => array(0) {
}
["_POST"] => array(0) {
}
}

Any help/pointers will be gratefully received.

Hmm, the following "error" was generated for an alert that was to be emailed to me yet 3 minutes later I had another alert successfully emailed?

EDIT and now, 15 miutes later, I have received the email despite the error message?????

Could @Mike or @Chris D please confirm that this cannot be a Xenforo problem?

Swift_TransportException: Email to xxxx.co.uk failed: Connection could not be established with host mail3.gridhost.co.uk [Connection timed out #110]
src/vendor/swiftmailer/swiftmailer/lib/classes/Swift/Transport/StreamBuffer.php:277

Generated by: Unknown account Mar 1, 2019 at 9:39 AM

Stack trace

#0 src/vendor/swiftmailer/swiftmailer/lib/classes/Swift/Transport/StreamBuffer.php(62): Swift_Transport_StreamBuffer->_establishSocketConnection()
#1 src/vendor/swiftmailer/swiftmailer/lib/classes/Swift/Transport/AbstractSmtpTransport.php(113): Swift_Transport_StreamBuffer->initialize(Array)
#2 src/XF/Mail/Mailer.php(274): Swift_Transport_AbstractSmtpTransport->start()
#3 src/XF/Mail/Queue.php(138): XF\Mail\Mailer->send(Object(Swift_Message), Object(Swift_SmtpTransport), Array)
#4 src/XF/Job/MailQueue.php(12): XF\Mail\Queue->run(G)
#5 src/XF/Job/Manager.php(253): XF\Job\MailQueue->run(G)
#6 src/XF/Job/Manager.php(195): XF\Job\Manager->runJobInternal(Array, G)
#7 src/XF/Job/Manager.php(79): XF\Job\Manager->runJobEntry(Array, G)
#8 job.php(42): XF\Job\Manager->runQueue(false, 8)
#9 {main}

Request state

array(4) {
["url"] => string(16) "/XenForo/job.php"
["referrer"] => string(73) "https://www.theukbettingforum.co.uk/XenForo/threads/pro-bets.98716/page-2"
["_GET"] => array(0) {
}
["_POST"] => array(0) {

Last edited:
Connection timeout would usually indicate an issue between your host and the mail server so definitely one to troubleshoot with them.

Thats what I thought, but It seems to me that these are maybe "False Alarms" as although Xenforo is reporting an error I still got the email that the error referred to?

I also did a mass email yesterday to over 3,000 members and never had a single connection error reported but still get random connection errors when Alerts are being emailed.

Top Bottom