XF 1.5 Email Issues - Not Being Received Perhaps Not Sending ??

Im new to Xenforo having just migrated from SMF.. I few potential members have messaged me via Facebook to say they have registered but the verification email does not arrive.

I checked this out myself and it seems to be true. I cant see the email anywhere. Not in Inbox or spam folders.

Is there a way to troubleshoot this please?? Even to check if emails are being despatched.

This may even be a server issue. but I just don't know where to start.

http://www.whitbyseaanglers.co.uk/forum/

Do you have any error logs in the ACP?

Are you using the default PHP mail function or SMTP?

If you are using the default PHP mail function and there are no errors in the ACP, then this means the emails have been handed off to the server.

At that point XenForo is no longer involved so you would need to check the mail server log to see whether they are being sent or not.

Your host should be able to help with that if you are unsure how to check the log.

If they are being sent then it could be any number of reasons why they aren't being delivered.
This resource should help: https://xenforo.com/community/resources/dealing-with-spam-filters.366/

Click on the Server Error Log link.

However, if there is no notification on the ACP home page of any errors, then there won't be any.

If you are using the default PHP mail function and there are no errors in the ACP, then this means the emails have been handed off to the server.

At that point XenForo is no longer involved so you would need to check the mail server log to see whether they are being sent or not.

Your host should be able to help with that if you are unsure how to check the log.

Nothing in the server log. So what is my next step ?? Im on VPS with Linode.
Odds are your outbound mail is being blocked by the receiving MTA.
You can check the mail logs in the /var/log location on your server.
What the mail log will be called (and the exact location) will be dependent upon your MTA that you are using (Exim, Postfix).

Top Bottom