Fixed Elasticsearch 2.0 Error

MattW

Just upgraded to ES2.0, and the search no longer works. Index can be rebuilt OK, but searching throws the below error
Code:
Error Info
ErrorException: Object of class stdClass could not be converted to string - library/XenES/Search/SourceHandler/ElasticSearch.php:845
Generated By: Matt, 1 minute ago
Stack Trace
#0 /home/nginx/domains/mattwservices.co.uk/public/library/XenES/Search/SourceHandler/ElasticSearch.php(845): XenForo_Application::handlePhpError(4096, 'Object of class...', '/home/nginx/dom...', 845, Array)
#1 /home/nginx/domains/mattwservices.co.uk/public/library/XenES/Search/SourceHandler/ElasticSearch.php(305): XenES_Search_SourceHandler_ElasticSearch->_logSearchResponseError(Object(stdClass), true)
#2 /home/nginx/domains/mattwservices.co.uk/public/library/XenForo/Search/SourceHandler/Abstract.php(115): XenES_Search_SourceHandler_ElasticSearch->executeSearch('nginx', false, Array, Array, false, '200')
#3 /home/nginx/domains/mattwservices.co.uk/public/library/XenForo/Search/Searcher.php(79): XenForo_Search_SourceHandler_Abstract->searchGeneral('nginx', Array, 'relevance', '200')
#4 /home/nginx/domains/mattwservices.co.uk/public/library/XenForo/ControllerPublic/Search.php(246): XenForo_Search_Searcher->searchGeneral('nginx', Array, 'relevance')
#5 /home/nginx/domains/mattwservices.co.uk/public/library/XenES/Proxy/ControllerSearch.php(30): XenForo_ControllerPublic_Search->actionSearch()
#6 /home/nginx/domains/mattwservices.co.uk/public/library/XenForo/FrontController.php(351): XenES_Proxy_ControllerSearch->actionSearch()
#7 /home/nginx/domains/mattwservices.co.uk/public/library/XenForo/FrontController.php(134): XenForo_FrontController->dispatch(Object(XenForo_RouteMatch))
#8 /home/nginx/domains/mattwservices.co.uk/public/index.php(13): XenForo_FrontController->run()
#9 {main}
Request State
array(3) {
  ["url"] => string(41) "https://mattwservices.co.uk/search/search"
  ["_GET"] => array(1) {
    ["/search/search"] => string(0) ""
  }
  ["_POST"] => array(4) {
    ["keywords"] => string(5) "nginx"
    ["users"] => string(0) ""
    ["date"] => string(0) ""
    ["_xfToken"] => string(8) "********"
  }
}

upload_2015-10-29_11-14-12.webp

upload_2015-10-29_11-14-33.webp

I setup a new ES 2.0 install and a new index and didn't have any problems out of the box.

This error is actually in the error handling itself, so something else is the underlying problem. I have managed to force an error and reproduced this particular issue so we can see the original error.

In library/XenES/Search/SourceHandler/ElasticSearch.php, find:
Code:
$e = new XenForo_Exception(trim($extraMessage . ' Elasticsearch error: ' . $response->error));
Replace with:
Code:
            if (is_string($response->error))
            {
                $e = new XenForo_Exception(trim($extraMessage . ' Elasticsearch error: ' . $response->error));
            }
            else
            {
                $e = new XenForo_Exception(trim($extraMessage . ' Elasticsearch error: ' . json_encode($response->error)));
            }

What is the exception that gets logged then?

Thanks Mike

Code:
XenForo_Exception: Elasticsearch error: {"root_cause":[{"type":"script_exception","reason":"scripts of type [inline], operation [search] and lang [groovy] are disabled"}],"type":"search_phase_execution_exception","reason":"all shards failed","phase":"query","grouped":true,"failed_shards":[{"shard":0,"index":"mattwser_xenforo","node":"KoSCe1l4QBGqV5lVDEz5Vw","reason":{"type":"query_parsing_exception","reason":"script_score the script could not be loaded","index":"mattwser_xenforo","line":1,"col":258,"caused_by":{"type":"script_exception","reason":"scripts of type [inline], operation [search] and lang [groovy] are disabled"}}}]} - library/XenES/Search/SourceHandler/ElasticSearch.php:852
Generated By: Matt, A moment ago
Stack Trace
#0 /home/nginx/domains/mattwservices.co.uk/public/library/XenES/Search/SourceHandler/ElasticSearch.php(305): XenES_Search_SourceHandler_ElasticSearch->_logSearchResponseError(Object(stdClass), true)
#1 /home/nginx/domains/mattwservices.co.uk/public/library/XenForo/Search/SourceHandler/Abstract.php(115): XenES_Search_SourceHandler_ElasticSearch->executeSearch('nginx', false, Array, Array, false, '200')
#2 /home/nginx/domains/mattwservices.co.uk/public/library/XenForo/Search/Searcher.php(79): XenForo_Search_SourceHandler_Abstract->searchGeneral('nginx', Array, 'relevance', '200')
#3 /home/nginx/domains/mattwservices.co.uk/public/library/XenForo/ControllerPublic/Search.php(246): XenForo_Search_Searcher->searchGeneral('nginx', Array, 'relevance')
#4 /home/nginx/domains/mattwservices.co.uk/public/library/XenES/Proxy/ControllerSearch.php(30): XenForo_ControllerPublic_Search->actionSearch()
#5 /home/nginx/domains/mattwservices.co.uk/public/library/XenForo/FrontController.php(351): XenES_Proxy_ControllerSearch->actionSearch()
#6 /home/nginx/domains/mattwservices.co.uk/public/library/XenForo/FrontController.php(134): XenForo_FrontController->dispatch(Object(XenForo_RouteMatch))
#7 /home/nginx/domains/mattwservices.co.uk/public/index.php(13): XenForo_FrontController->run()
#8 {main}
Request State
array(3) {
  ["_GET"] => array(1) {
  }
  ["_POST"] => array(4) {
    ["date"] => string(0) ""
  }
}

I've been able to get pass the above error by adding the below to elasticsearch.yml
Code:
script.inline: on
script.indexed: on

It's now throwing
Code:
XenForo_Exception: Elasticsearch error: {"root_cause":[{"type":"groovy_script_execution_exception","reason":"failed to run inline script [xf-date-weighted] using lang [groovy]"}],"type":"search_phase_execution_exception","reason":"all shards failed","phase":"query","grouped":true,"failed_shards":[{"shard":0,"index":"mattwser_xenforo","node":"eKWqrsPYSqCOimhLCuRYRA","reason":{"type":"groovy_script_execution_exception","reason":"failed to run inline script [xf-date-weighted] using lang [groovy]","caused_by":{"type":"missing_property_exception","reason":"No such property: xf for class: bbd027383bd3132a8f12db815e1f96f3795541ac"}}}]} - library/XenES/Search/SourceHandler/ElasticSearch.php:852
Generated By: Matt, 3 minutes ago
Stack Trace
#0 /home/nginx/domains/mattwservices.co.uk/public/library/XenES/Search/SourceHandler/ElasticSearch.php(305): XenES_Search_SourceHandler_ElasticSearch->_logSearchResponseError(Object(stdClass), true)
#1 /home/nginx/domains/mattwservices.co.uk/public/library/XenForo/Search/SourceHandler/Abstract.php(115): XenES_Search_SourceHandler_ElasticSearch->executeSearch('nginx', false, Array, Array, false, '200')
#2 /home/nginx/domains/mattwservices.co.uk/public/library/XenForo/Search/Searcher.php(79): XenForo_Search_SourceHandler_Abstract->searchGeneral('nginx', Array, 'relevance', '200')
#3 /home/nginx/domains/mattwservices.co.uk/public/library/XenForo/ControllerPublic/Search.php(246): XenForo_Search_Searcher->searchGeneral('nginx', Array, 'relevance')
#4 /home/nginx/domains/mattwservices.co.uk/public/library/XenES/Proxy/ControllerSearch.php(30): XenForo_ControllerPublic_Search->actionSearch()
#5 /home/nginx/domains/mattwservices.co.uk/public/library/XenForo/FrontController.php(351): XenES_Proxy_ControllerSearch->actionSearch()
#6 /home/nginx/domains/mattwservices.co.uk/public/library/XenForo/FrontController.php(134): XenForo_FrontController->dispatch(Object(XenForo_RouteMatch))
#7 /home/nginx/domains/mattwservices.co.uk/public/index.php(13): XenForo_FrontController->run()
#8 {main}
Request State
array(3) {
  ["_GET"] => array(1) {
  }
  ["_POST"] => array(4) {
    ["date"] => string(0) ""
  }
}

EDIT:
Un-ticking the date weighted box allows it to run
upload_2015-10-29_12-15-12.webp

That's roughly where I've ended at too as I started to test that.

It seemed that when I used dynamic scripting in XF, it seemed to work. It's just failing to load the script in the Elasticsearch config/scripts directory. (I assume you've copied the XF script there.)

That's roughly where I've ended at too as I started to test that.

It seemed that when I used dynamic scripting in XF, it seemed to work. It's just failing to load the script in the Elasticsearch config/scripts directory. (I assume you've copied the XF script there.)
Yes, it's there on both nodes.

I might be wrong because I'm looking at a small portion of the file but it seems you could get an undefined variable error with that. There's cases where it seems $scriptType may not be defined but still called if you're on ES2.0

Ah, I didn't really think about
PHP:
}
-
-                if ($version >= '1.0')
getting removed and resulting in $scriptType = 'file'; ending up in the else. My mistake.

If that isn't viable, the issue doesn't happen when XF uses dynamic scripting. (Or stick with Elasticsearch 1.x for now.)

The instructions are in the file as it's a diff file.

The - indicates lines which must be removed, the + indicates lines which must be added.

Top Bottom