elastic search, worth it?

The only one which needs anything doing to work with is XenTag, and you need to edit one of the files to make it work (instructions are in the add-on)

Can someone plese explain to me, in layman terms, what Elastic Search is?

Would I be able to use it if my XF forum is behind a firewall?

And what if all of Nodes are marked as private, can it be configured to index them?

Thank you.

On Edit: And can someone point me to an example where I can test it.

It's installed here so you can test it on this site.

The specific configuration of your forum has no impact on it.

The FAQ in my signature has some information related to it and how it differs from MySQL search.

Here's what I found at your FAQ. Is this the major diff?

The MySQL search function has what are called stopwords, which are typically common words, and are excluded from searches. Find more information on the MySQL site.
Note that the XenForo Enhanced Search add-on, which is installed here on XenForo.com, does not suffer the same constraints as default MySQL search does with regards to minimum word length and stop words.

Enhanced Search also offers relevancy-based ordering (including an option to weight more recent content higher).
Does that mean we can make certain content types rate higher than others? Or is the weighting limited to just post/thread content types? Possible to see the configuration options in the xenforo ACP?

Still using MySQL search myself, searching for a very common keyword takes 7 seconds searching through 990,000 posts. I'm sure ES would at least half that loading time.

Edit: Just tried another equally common keyword, 4 seconds this time. I'm fine with this for now.

Does that mean we can make certain content types rate higher than others? Or is the weighting limited to just post/thread content types? Possible to see the configuration options in the xenforo ACP?
I was referring to date-based weighting:

Screen Shot 2015-12-05 at 09.18.42.webp

There isn't content-type based weighting by default.

I can't tell I'm much satisfied with Elastic Search.. search is slow as before (no improvements on performances) and users reported results are not as relevant as they were when they used the standard search instead.

Considering I only implemented it in order to show similar threads (running XF2.1 and using a paid add-on for this, as I wanted similar threads to have title but also tags relevancy), I'd say it's not worth it in my case.

Top Bottom