[EAE Add-ons] Thread preview widget

[EAE Add-ons] Thread preview widget 1.3

No permission to download
Had the same. Adding a picture to first post solve this issue. Yes, without picture it will show more than 100.

Hi, yes, I'm talking about long posts showing in their entirety. I was going back and forth, looking at the previews and the posts and in every case found that the previews contained the entire posts. Definitely a lot more 100 characters. It would definitely be nice to have an option to set the max character limit. Thank you.
So, for the next update to this add-on:
  • prefixes
  • sticky threads
  • pagination
  • node type
  • cover image from last post option
  • character snippet length for posts that are not from an article forum

• prefixes
  • sticky threads
  • pagination
  • node type
What's the eta? :D This year? Fingers crossed!

I meant to reply. Sorry for not getting back quick enough. Thank you! :) Can't wait! Where you have listed 'node type' as a new feature incoming - does this mean it will resolve my previous problem with it being hardcoded for only page node types? Like mentioned here -

I don't like to edit files if I don't have to, and would love this feature to be native.

Best wishes

I meant to reply. Sorry for not getting back quick enough. Thank you! :) Can't wait! Where you have listed 'node type' as a new feature incoming - does this mean it will resolve my previous problem with it being hardcoded for only page node types? Like mentioned here -

I don't like to edit files if I don't have to, and would love this feature to be native.

Best wishes

The node types you are referring to for the update is to set an option to select what node types threads should be pulled from. This add-on is made to work with page nodes and I can't see me changing this, so apologies.

• prefixes
  • sticky threads
  • pagination
  • node type
I wonder if it's easier to use the batch update threads criteria? That's what a Search Forum does, it uses it on the public side for thread output. This way the widget would add a lot more criteria. But I am looking forward to the addition of prefixes. That will add a lot to this! Thanks!

An update to what's been added to date:

• prefixes - added
  • sticky threads
  • pagination - added (prev/next buttons)
  • node type - added option to select articles only
  • cover image from last post option - added
  • character snippet length for posts that are not from an article forum - added (the option is used for all thread types)

Last edited:
I didn't add in a node type selection, but I did add in a checkbox to select articles only from your selected nodes.

Note: Making the code edit will result in a modified file warning in the ACP which can be ignored and you'll need to redo the edit when you update the addon in the future.

That would irritate me beyond belief, so I'll add in an option so it won't be dependant on a page node.

Sticky threads or Featured threads (pinned threads sound too close to Sticky threads)?

I'm leaning towards Sticky threads, as they are already stuck they must be important anyways. Featured threads will require the thread table to be modified, and then permissions added and an option to make a thread featured or not from the front end (and of course someone will request that featured threads should expire after X time, which means another modification to the thread table and a cron job to be added - this seems like a lot to add for what is suppose to be a simple add-on). Maybe for this release I'll just look for sticky threads, and maybe the next release change it to feature threads?

Best wishes
The node types you are referring to for the update is to set an option to select what node types threads should be pulled from. This add-on is made to work with page nodes and I can't see me changing this, so apologies.

I didn't add in a node type selection, but I did add in a checkbox to select articles only from your selected nodes.

That would irritate me beyond belief, so I'll add in an option so it won't be dependant on a page node.

Sticky threads or Featured threads (pinned threads sound too close to Sticky threads)?

I'm leaning towards Sticky threads, as they are already stuck they must be important anyways. Featured threads will require the thread table to be modified, and then permissions added and an option to make a thread featured or not from the front end (and of course someone will request that featured threads should expire after X time, which means another modification to the thread table and a cron job to be added - this seems like a lot to add for what is suppose to be a simple add-on). Maybe this release just look for sticky threads and next release change it to feature threads?
Is there still zero scope for this? Again, if I have to edit, then I will because this addon is gold. But I hope perhaps in a future release you could re-consider. Hope you're well :)

Is there still zero scope for this? Again, if I have to edit, then I will because this addon is gold. But I hope perhaps in a future release you could re-consider. Hope you're well :)

I'm adding the option in now, because if I had to keep editing a file after each update to an add-on that would drive me up the wall (and that's on top of always seeing a failed file health check).

I'm adding the option in now, because if I had to keep editing a file after each update to an add-on that would drive me up the wall (and that's on top of always seeing a failed file health check).
I really appreciate it and your fast response. Once this next release is out, I'll donate if you have a donate link of any sort. Best wishes, Greg

I really appreciate it and your fast response. Once this next release is out, I'll donate if you have a donate link of any sort. Best wishes, Greg

No donation required, but thanks for offering, :)

Having this widget appear in places that are not page nodes is not as simple as commenting out a line of code; it doesn't know it's location to generate proper previous and next buttons for widget positions that do not set options['context']. To get around this, I created another option to add in the URL of the page this widget (key) will be used on. I would rather not take that route, but there is no other way I can think of that would not throw a page not found error and/or redirect to forum home.

Lawrence updated [EAE Add-ons] Thread preview widget with a new update entry:

New features

Added the following new options to the thread preview widget settings:
  • Bypass Page node requirement - if selected this widget will no longer exit if a Page node is not detected, allowing it to be used elsewhere
  • URL field - (optional) if the above option is selected you may choose to enter a URL here to generate the previous and next buttons. Depending on your set-up this may not be required
  • Include sticky threads (this option will add one new query) - if checked, sticky...

Read the rest of this update entry...

Reactions: gib
Great work. Thank you Lawrence.

I'm going to try this out now! :) One thing, I think I misunderstood the new prefix feature, although now I'd like to ask for a feature request -

Would it be possible to force the widget to display posts from a forum (as it currently can) but also only if a certain prefix is selected?

Effectively a filter of some sort, but set on the admin end rather than the front end. My use case would be -

I have a news node, where I regularly post news. I allow other regular members to also post news, however - I don't want their posts on the front page as they might not always be to the standard that I set.

Thank you again! :)

Top Bottom