Dynamic quotes issues.

BGL

http://xenforo.com/community/threads/dynamic-quotes.32126/

In the above conversation on this forum, it was noted that if someone edits their original message, any quotes of that message are also changed. In effect one person is now editing other people's messages, changing the meaning of what they said. Not good in my view.

Can the dynamic quote feature be turned off? A person could edit their original message with a notation added that they edited it and when but it would NOT change any quotes of the original message by others?

Related, is it possible to set a fixed time being able to edit a message (10 minutes etc) at which point the person cannot change their message and the issues of dynamic quotes changing other people's messages goes away?

XenForo doesn't have a dynamic quote system. Floren was suggesting it as a feature. It hasn't been implemented nor is it likely to in the very near future. And if it is, I'm sure there'd be an option to turn it off.

Related, is it possible to set a fixed time being able to edit a message (10 minutes etc) at which point the person cannot change their message and the issues of dynamic quotes changing other people's messages goes away?

Yes that is an option.

I realized it was feature Floren proposed after I reread it. But it does leave me with a question on the "feature" he mentioned that if someone deletes their message, any quotes of that original message in other people's posts are also deleted. Is that a feature that can be turned off. I would like to allow unlimited edit time of one's message as long as fact that it has been edited and when is noted. But if they can delete the accurage content of other people's messages by deleting their message, I would like to turn that off if possible. Am I correct that if I set a time limit for editing that that would include deleting their message?

But it does leave me with a question on the "feature" he mentioned that if someone deletes their message, any quotes of that original message in other people's posts are also deleted. Is that a feature that can be turned off.
That's confused me too, now I've re-read it... as far as I know that isn't a feature... I've just tried it on my test board and I can't get a quote to disappear after the original message has been removed.

As for time limit, I believe there's a separate time limit for editing and a separate time limit for deleting.

Which brings up an interesting issue on the feature. You edited your reply above but the email notification I received had your original text in it. I could see people deleting or editing their original content on the forum and then the person they replied to who had the original quote disappear in their reply then edit their message and quote the original email of it.

Yeah, that's possible.

Ultimately, the behaviour is no different to most forum software. From all the tests I've done there is absolutely nothing dynamic about the quotes as it stands at the moment. Any problems as a result of having dynamic quotes or not having dynamic quotes are likely to be minor and can be best solved by your moderators.

OK. Thanks on the dynamic quote check out. Seemed like a can of worms from a conversational standpoint. Seemed like it would add a lot of programming complexity on the back end also for a problematic functionality. I like letting people edit their messages as long as notification that there was an edit is included. But being able to change their accurately quoted content in other people's messages was going into the house of mirrors.

Thanks for the heads up. I think notification in the message that an Edit has been made to the message and when is essential. The forum I participate in that has that also has a mandatory reason for editing window but if users don't put in a reason, it pops up a warning and it kills the edit and the person has to start over because they forgot to put in a reason. I want members to be able to edit and have it automatically add an "edited time/date" stamp in the message.

Top Bottom