XF 1.5 Duplicate Usernames not being disallowed

Vilandra

Hi all :)

I'm running into a strange problem where with some usernames, duplicates because of capitalization are being allowed to register. Can anyone think of any reason this would be so? For example, I now have two members:

Iwearthecheese
iWearTheCheese

When I tried testing it, I could register some duplicates but not others (for example I could register priceless in addition to Priceless but not athena in addition to Athena).

Running 1.5.9

The only way that could happen is if the collation of your xf_user.username column has been changed -- presumably to utf8_bin. This would have to have been changed either through a bad database dump or intentionally.

I think the reasoning behind this was that I had special characters in the username (Doppelganger vs doppelgänger) and ran into problems when importing from vb3 because it sees those as duplicates with utf8_general_ci.

It's going to be difficult to change this if you have legitimate duplicates and you made this intentionally. You'd really need to resolve that before trying to change anything.

You picked out the default utf8_general_ci.

Top Bottom