1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XF 1.5 Duplicate Usernames not being disallowed

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting and Problems' started by Vilandra, Aug 28, 2016.

1. Vilandra

Vilandra Active Member

Hi all :)

I'm running into a strange problem where with some usernames, duplicates because of capitalization are being allowed to register. Can anyone think of any reason this would be so? For example, I now have two members:

Iwearthecheese
    iWearTheCheese

When I tried testing it, I could register some duplicates but not others (for example I could register priceless in addition to Priceless but not athena in addition to Athena).

Running 1.5.9

2. Mike

Mike XenForo Developer Staff Member

The only way that could happen is if the collation of your xf_user.username column has been changed -- presumably to utf8_bin. This would have to have been changed either through a bad database dump or intentionally.

3. Vilandra

Vilandra Active Member

Hmm...can I change it back (and what should it be?) Thank you Mike!

4. Vilandra

Vilandra Active Member

I think the reasoning behind this was that I had special characters in the username (Doppelganger vs doppelgänger) and ran into problems when importing from vb3 because it sees those as duplicates with utf8_general_ci.

5. Mike

Mike XenForo Developer Staff Member

It's going to be difficult to change this if you have legitimate duplicates and you made this intentionally. You'd really need to resolve that before trying to change anything.

You picked out the default utf8_general_ci.

6. Vilandra

Vilandra Active Member

Thank you again Mike :)