XF 1.3 Drag & drop.

rwm1962

I tried to drag a drop a 65kb image into a test post on this forum (both new post & reply) with simple text 'test'

I got the following message:

The submitted message is too long to be processed. Please shorten it.

What's causing that? I can see the feature has worked for other users.

That probably indicates that the image data was actually embedded in the message. What browser are you using and where are you dragging from? Drag and drop upload is for files on your computer.

Works without issue here - it should tell you to drop the files to upload. Unfortunately, without being there, I can't make any recommendations (and we haven't had any other reports of this).

It does tell me that.

Screenshots below including browser 'about' info.

I can see the image in the message box as screenshot shows. If I dismiss the error message & click the image I get a second dialog box Dismissing that removes the image but leaves a placeholder. If I submit the reply I get the 'message too long' warning.
Screenshot from 2014-07-16 22:22:19.webp
Dismiss warning & clicking image gets dialog box below:
Screenshot from 2014-07-16 22:23:34.webp

Hit 'Insert' as per dialogue box & the image is replaced by a placeholder. Submitting via Post Reply takes me back to 'too long' warning'

Screenshot from 2014-07-16 22:23:51.webp

I'll go & try on a Windows machine.

In my post above using FF/Linux I dragged an image to the text box & the image appeared in the textbox without further action from me.

On a machine running windows 7 I get different behaviour. I drag the image to the text box & it doesn't appear in the post. It appears in the image upload area as a thumbnail with options for thumbnail of full image.

Ok - I'll go for full & see what happens:
IMG_4946.webp

Cool - pic appear in post. Let me submit the reply

Ok -so this feature doesn't work via Firefox 30 on Linux Mint. Any ideas why? It'll not affect me as a user as I find the regular method quicker than resizing windows so I can have browser & image location on view at same time but I have my users to consider & I'm only testing this out as we had a request for it.

I suspect it's a browser difference in terms of what it exposes or a particular behavior, though I don't know why. I will have to look into setting up a Linux VM to see if I can reproduce it.

Top Bottom