Not planned Drag and Drop

Cory Booth

Well I have seen some of my co-workers implement this technique for various activities so I thought I'd drop it in here to spin the gears a bit. I have no idea the code behind such a feature, this is more of a brainstorming idea.

So, considering how slick this forum interface is, imagine rather than clicking reply, just draging a thread down to the reply box for the "quote" function to kick of?

I can imagine this same concept could be implemented for various other functions as well - like PMs or similar...

Again, just a thought to stir up some ideas...

Upvote 0
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
Seems like it would only be efficient for the last few posts of the page, so as not to have to scroll down so much when dragging.

The first place it should be used (and might already be) is to reorder lists of items that have display order (instead of manually specifying a numeric display order).

After that, let your imagination run wild. After attaching images to a post, you could drag the image from the list under the editor up into the editor to insert inline. You could used drag and drop for inline moderation (for moving posts to a new forum or even moving them to a trash bin).

When I hear drag and drop, I think images, not posts or PMs. That's what quoting is for...

Right, but this is more of a different way to use the functionality. So think, you could drag a username to a PM field and build your "Send PM to" addresses, or when in admin and editing the header bar, you could drag the "tabs" around to reorder, or when placing ads in your forum, instead of selecting the "zone" you could just grab the ad and drag it to the area you want it to display...

Now when the Gallery is added (see I didn't say "if" lol)... It would be useful to drag the images around to reorder or even drag an image from the gallery and put it into the "post message box" so you can submit a post with a thumbnail from your gallery, etc....

This type of stuff...

Again, these are just ideas for the mods and devs to consider, nothing that I think should be available day one or even year one....
(gotta defend myself from what I think MUST be implemented vs. what would be "cool")
However, mentioning stuff like this early might allow the devs and mods to make the code able to accomidate such a feature in the future. Rather than needing a "rewrite" later on...

I'm no pro, but I know many times when I have created an application, I usually wind up going "dang, I wish I would have thought about that earlier..." :-)

Right, but this is more of a different way to use the functionality. So think, you could drag a username to a PM field and build your "Send PM to" addresses, or when in admin and editing the header bar, you could drag the "tabs" around to reorder, or when placing ads in your forum, instead of selecting the "zone" you could just grab the ad and drag it to the area you want it to display...

Now when the Gallery is added (see I didn't say "if" lol)... It would be useful to drag the images around to reorder or even drag an image from the gallery and put it into the "post message box" so you can submit a post with a thumbnail from your gallery, etc....

This type of stuff...

Again, these are just ideas for the mods and devs to consider, nothing that I think should be available day one or even year one....
(gotta defend myself from what I think MUST be implemented vs. what would be "cool")
Dragging usernames to PM fields? Copy and paste is just as effective.
Reordering tabs? Just change the code.
Ads? Not sure what you mean...

Things like this can be implemented as add-ons. They aren't exactly "must-have."

Dragging usernames to PM fields? Copy and paste is just as effective.
Reordering tabs? Just change the code.
Ads? Not sure what you mean...

Things like this can be implemented as add-ons. They aren't exactly "must-have."

Please read my last two lines....

Quote:

As for ads:
I am talking about the ability to drag your "sponsor" advertisement images to the areas of your forum you'd like them to display, header, footer, sideblock, etc....

I know this is easy to implement as a drop down or whatever, I made this suggestion because I am trying to stir up ideas to take the UI to the next level.

Top Bottom