XF 1.4 Double alerts - recently starting?

Glockie

Hello all,
Oddly enough, recently our users are complaining of lots of double alerts.
It doesn't happen often, but every now and again.

Firstly I will admit, I dismissed it based on previous searches and after finding this thread;
https://xenforo.com/community/threads/duplicate-alerts.87712/

But then some members are saying about it again and now I am rather unsure.
I do use live update (which is brilliant) and to be fair, I can't say I have done anything that's made me notice when it started.. :confused:
Following this thread, again a similar situation;
https://xenforo.com/community/threads/upgraded-to-1-1-3-from-1-1-2-double-alerts.35861/

But of course, the software being mobile responsive, we don't use Tapatalk or anything like that.
So I am rather stumped.
There's nothing in the error logs either.
Is there any way to diagnose why this would happen or anything I can do to try and nail down the error?
I've not upgraded to 1.4.7 yet as I just haven't had the time to do it, would that be a contributing factor?

Many thanks in advance, thank you.

Are they specific alerts that they're seeing twice? Which alerts are they?

For the most part, this isn't something that you really have any control over. Alerts shouldn't be duplicated in most cases, but in specific situations, it could happen.

Hello Mike, thanks for taking the time to answer.
One user instance this morning was a double alert, for another member liking that users' status.

I seem to recall there being an issue with tapatalk and double alerts, but that was a while ago so I suspect it is resolved now.

Do you have any add-ons installed?

Liking is a case where you can see a double alert, with at least some possibility as someone can like-unlike-like and that creates a window for it. The code does try to delete the alert though and normally it would at least create a DB error if something went wrong. Is it possible that the content was liked, the alert viewed, then unliked and liked again? That would create a new alert.

Yes I have several add-ons. Quite a lot tbh.
I don't use Tapatalk or forumrunner or anything like that, just XF as default (besides my theme) for mobile viewing.

Now you say that Brogan it is possible it could have started after installing Xengallery?
I will have to check dates and times. (I used to use XFMG but that's another story)
Would/could an add-on trigger it?

Liking is a case where you can see a double alert, with at least some possibility as someone can like-unlike-like and that creates a window for it. The code does try to delete the alert though and normally it would at least create a DB error if something went wrong. Is it possible that the content was liked, the alert viewed, then unliked and liked again? That would create a new alert.

Hmm interesting. I have just tested that on your post. I wouldn't know actually. I don't think so, but it's possible.
Thing is, there is no set pattern. it doesn't just happen all the time, just every now and again.

I am wondering if it's an add-on conflict. And that will mean disabling some to diagnose. Blast :censored:
Okay thank you both, I think I will investigate by disabling an add-on first and see if it continues. (y)

That said, it happens only now and again, which is why I am at a loss.....

I doubt an add-on would be involved, TBH. Unfortunately though, it's something we'd really need to reproduce to try to debug as there is code in place that should prevent 2 alerts from (simultaneously) existing for a like.

I doubt an add-on would be involved, TBH. Unfortunately though, it's something we'd really need to reproduce to try to debug as there is code in place that should prevent 2 alerts from (simultaneously) existing for a like.

Okay. Well like I said, the one this morning was because one member simply liked another members' status.
I actually received one this afternoon too, from a member who liked a photo in the gallery.
There was two 'user liked your photo abc in gallery 123' alerts. Most weird.

I have attached a screenshot, but it is quite cut for some specific reasons.

alerts.webp

Is it just the like alert that's duplicated there, or the comment alert as well? If it's the comment alert as well (and there isn't a deleted comment), then that may point to something more fundamental such as an add-on.

If it's just the like alert, without reproducing it, it's hard to give recommendations. At best, if we had access to the DB we might be able to see if there are any hints in there, but there may not be enough detail to make any judgements.

Hello,
It's on pretty much all features but very sporadic.
I can give you access to the DB if you need it, but indeed - it's sporadic and I can't even tell you what triggers it, or what changes have been made TO trigger anything.
Most odd..

I've a feeling I know what is causing it.. I think it's Xengallery.
I recently moved from XFMG to that, for video features, and I think that's the cause. I don't know 100% but my instincts and testing some things, seems to point to that.
If so I will let you know.
Thank you!

Top Bottom