XF 2.1 Doing and upgrade from V 1.5.18 to V 2.1.1

New Joe

So basically I've been out of the loop for many years now.
My Forum is still running on the old V 1.5.18 and at the moment the latest version I can choose to download is V 2.1.1

Any help/pointers of what I need to do to upgrade from V 1.5.18 to V 2.1.1 ?
Thanks

most/all your addons will break/need to be updated
your theme will break/need to be updated on 2.x

highly suggest you pony up and just go through 2.2 while you're doing it as 2.2 is much better than 2.1 in a lot of ways.

Yeah i'd have to uninstall all my addons and Themes I remember that now
Don't want to spend money right now so would rather just go from where I am now to 2.1
Can i just upgrade from V 1.5.18 to V 2.1.1 with the built in upgrade tools?

Don't want to spend money right now so would rather just go from where I am now to 2.1
You still have to uninstall all your add-ons and themes and make or find compatible versions. The breakpoint is going from 1.x to anything 2.x. So you'll have to go through the full process whether you do 2.1 or 2.2 as the destination version. The US$55 to get yourself able to do the latest is worth it, I would say, both for the reason MySiteGuy gave and just in general to be up to date.

This putting your users at risk. There have been eight security updates since 2.1.1.

Now that you know this, upgrading to a version with known security vulnerabilities is legal liability if you get hacked.
So, i can't find anywhere that says Xenforo has put 2.1.1 at end of life, all i can find is XenForo 2.1 in will continue benefiting from support and updates.
So with that I don't see any reason not to upgrade to 2.1.1

The 2.x series is a complete rewrite, so if you're going from 1.5 to 2.x, you might as well go all the way to 2.2, there's no point in with stopping at 2.1, it's going to be the same amount of effort; you need to replace all your addons, you need a new theme, etc.

The 2.x series is a complete rewrite, so if you're going from 1.5 to 2.x, you might as well go all the way to 2.2, there's no point in with stopping at 2.1, it's going to be the same amount of effort; you need to replace all your addons, you need a new theme, etc.
Why is 2.1 a complete write off?

Why is 2.1 a complete write off?

Because it's outdated now, what's the fixation of remaining on 2.1?
That's like saying, why is 2.0 a writeoff?

2.2 is essentially 2.1 with improvements. Many 2.1 addons are still compatible with 2.2.

Why go through all the effort of upgrading from 1.5 to 2.1, then find that some of the addons you want, are 2.2 compatible only.

Seems like being on 2.2 opens you to much more addons compatibility, and you're better positioned to upgrade to 2.3 when that time comes.

Your decision, I don't think 2.1 is bad, it's just seems like you're creating more work and challenges for yourself in the future, if or when you want to upgrade again.

Additionally, 2.2 has progressive web app, 2.1 does not.

Cos that's the highest available for me to download right now unless I pay the $50, i get probably get around 1 post a week on the Forum so it's now many just a recourse of information than a busy Forum for members.

Alright, that's your decision.

$50 doesn't seem like a lot to save having to upgrade again later for vastly more features.

vastly more features
Don't really need any features.
Forum is dead, past it's sell by date, one post now and again.
Just there cos in it's day it was busy and there's loads of info on there for people to read.
As the hosting is cheap enough then I'll keep it going, so though maybe a good time to go from 1.5.18 to 2.1.1

So, i can't find anywhere that says Xenforo has put 2.1.1 at end of life, all i can find is XenForo 2.1 in will continue benefiting from support and updates.
2.1.1 has been supplanted with subsequent versions. Look at the announcements section, each update lists whether there's a security issue it's resolved.

So with that I don't see any reason not to upgrade to 2.1.1

People like you help me buy friends and family more gifts every Christmas season. Hacked site repair = expensive emergency rates!

Don't really need any features.
Forum is dead, past it's sell by date, one post now and again.
Just there cos in it's day it was busy and there's loads of info on there for people to read.
As the hosting is cheap enough then I'll keep it going, so though maybe a good time to go from 1.5.18 to 2.1.1
2.1.14 came out last October. It and the two previous 2.1.x releases (12 and 13) have all been security fixes, which are the only updates done for 2.1 since 2.2 came out. So at bare minimum, it is in your best interest to be on nothing lower than 2.1.14 for 2.1 or 2.2.13 for 2.2. Anything else is missing security fixes. But there is nothing stopping you, it's just a really bad idea. Speaking as someone who has worked in IT for over 25 years on two jobs, these kinds of bad ideas are what lead to breaches.

By your logic not wanting to update to 2.2.13, why even bother leaving 1.5.18? If $50 to renew your license and upgrade 'isn't worth it' for you, why bother to upgrade to 2.1?

it's going from one insecure version to another.

Top Bottom