XF 2.1 Does Importing from two sources cause problems?

BubbaLovesCheese

Hi,

This is my plan, and I was wondering if it would cause problems, or if there is a better way to go about doing it. Thanks...
  1. keep my vBulletin active and online
  2. create a xenforo test installation
  3. import all the vbulletin database in to xenforo using the import add-on
  4. spend some time customising the new installation.
Specifically:
  • Create new user groups
  • Create new usergroup permissions
  • Create new Nodes
  • Create new Node permissions
  • Assign user to new groups
  • Change some user permissions
After that, I was planning to:
  1. take my vBulletin installation off-line
  2. create the final xenforo installation
  3. Import all the vbulletin database in to xenforo using the import add-on (since there we probably several post and thread since the test migration)
  4. Import my customisation from the xenforo test installation in to the final xenforo installation.
Specifically:
  • User groups
  • Nodes
  • Node permissions
So my question is:
  1. Would importing from vBulletin and then importing from xenforo-test cause any problems?
  2. Would the 3 tables I intend to import using the import add-on be enough?
  3. Or would I need to import something else, like Custom user fields (what is that?)
  4. Or is there a better way to do it?

Thank you!

That's not the recommended, nor supported method.

Specifically, selectively importing content and especially database tables can't be done for various reasons.

This guide explains how to do test/final imports:

Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that I was importing the database tables directly. I meant to say that I intended to import:
  • User groups
  • User groups permissions
  • and Node permissions
using the Xenforo 2.1 to Xenforo 2.1 import feature of the Importer add-on.

My goal was to minimise downtime while preparing the new forum. And since the import add-on allows you to choose what to import, I thought it would be safe to select the 3 components I updated in the test-forum.

But after reading the guide, I get the impression that any corrections to user_groups, node_permissions and group_permissions need to be made after I've closed down my active forum.

I've done a few test imports from vBulletin, and the import results are fine, except for a terrible mess of the user and node permissions. Correcting them and testing the changes easily took a full day, if not more if you really want to be confident with the changes. And I was hoping I could prepare those changes before shutting down the active vBulletin forum. But it seems I have to do it all after closing the active forum, and after the "final import", correct? I was just hoping to find a better way.

Thanks.

In order to import members, a prerequisite step is to import user groups.
In order to import forums, prerequisite steps include user groups and members.

So you can't for example import user groups, finalise the import, then do another import for the members and forums, as you would have to import the user groups again.

One possible solution would be to create duplicate user groups and forums in XF, set up the permissions and then after importing, mass move members and threads from the VB imported groups and forums into the ones you created, then delete the imported groups and forums.

Ultimately there isn't an easy way around taking the time to set up the permissions after the import.

One possible solution would be to create duplicate user groups and forums in XF, set up the permissions and then after importing, mass move members and threads from the VB imported groups and forums into the ones you created, then delete the imported groups and forums.

Yes, I can see how they are all interconnected now, and maybe even have different node.ids and user_group.ids, which can cause problems for a XF to XF import. That's a shame.

I think the most time consuming task is clearing all the erroneous node permission that were imported. I'm sure it's different for everyone, but in my particular case, it's a horrific mess. Easily over 100 node/group permission I need to revert back to "Inherit". Even if I had to do it manually, I would be thrilled if I could do it just once.... As opposed to twice or more (for testing and again for final)

Maybe a "batch - reset node permission" function might help? :)

I'm curious about your possible solution, I've read it a couple times but I can't quite grasp what you're suggesting. Could you rephrase it?

Thanks.

The IDs aren't really an issue, unless you want to keep the same ones you currently have in VB, in XF.

Otherwise, as I suggested, duplicate the user groups and forums you currently have in VB, in XF, and set up all the custom user group and node permissions.
Then take a backup which you can restore from.

Perform a test import and move members and threads from the imported groups and forums to the ones you created in XF, which will have the correct permissions.

You can use the batch update users and batch update threads functions to do that easily.

Maybe a "batch - reset node permission" function might help? :)

Ha! I found a solution..... vBulletin has a reset function for their node permissions!reset.JPG

So all I have to do, in theory, is click reset after I take vBulletin offline, and before I import the database. That should give me a clean import. :)

Whew. That saves me from clearing hundreds of group permissions one at a time in the xenforo ACP. :)

Top Bottom