Do you use an adblocker?

No, I don't.
But I use a flash blocker. Flash ads should be forbidden. They are massive resource hogs.

Do they still exist? God...

Most of the time, if flash crashes in chrome, the only thing using the flash is an advert.

Yes and No. I allow ads on sites that deserve it (bigger sites, ones that don't have it in the way of your content browsing), but sites that have ads everywhere, distracting me, making it harder to read the content, I do enable it for that site.

Yes, I do. I disable it for many sites, especially ones I frequent often.

For me, while I respect a site owner's right to have advertisements to offset cost, I believe there's a difference between display ads and trying to rape my vision.

I like sites to talk to me, if there's ads, so be it. But if I'm trying to read a site and I literally can't get past ads to view content, I'm going to block it.

I do.
Don't know why I should not disable ads.

The argument against it is, that the sites are providing you with their work and content and you're blocking their only revenue. Imagine you run a board, you pour time, effort and money to make it the best it can, you have thousands of visitors and they all block your ads so you don't get any revenue.

So, do you create a website for earning money? Then for sure I will block your ads.
There are other options, if you want to get back something, called donations.

Nobody forces these sites to provide me something. Most of them do not provide me something because of me or because of us. they just look for $$$.

Imagine you run a board, you pour time, effort and money to make it the best it can, you have thousands of visitors and they all block your ads so you don't get any revenue.

revenue = money ...

Your definition of revenue is what I don't accept.
If you have a good site and you are user-friendly (like no ads), then you will get for sure revenues. A lot of them.
Just don't use your visitors as customers. If they want to give a revenue, they will ask you or donate.
I don't like it when someone or something decides for myself and forces me to do something what I don't want.
Maybe I don't like your site? I don't want to help you, but in most cases I have no choice.
If I smell an add somewhere, I ll never trust this site.

So, do you create a website for earning money? Then for sure I will block your ads.
There are other options, if you want to get back something, called donations.

Nobody forces these sites to provide me something. Most of them do not provide me something because of me or because of us. they just look for $$$.
Most people don't create websites for money in the beginning. But if your site kicks off and there's a potential to make revenue, and you have either the choice to work at some job that you don't really care for or work full time on a website that you created simply because of a passion you had, of course you're going to take that route. But obviously when you do that, money becomes an issue because nothing in life is free. Therefore people generally use advertisements to allow themselves to do something they love while providing you with the content that you are looking for free of charge. Advertising generally is relatively steady, as long as your hits remain the same or grow, where as donations are not as reliable and aren't the best way to make sure you have a place to live in and something to eat next month.
Your definition of revenue is what I don't accept.
If you have a good site and you are user-friendly (like no ads), then you will get for sure revenues. A lot of them.
Just don't use your visitors as customers. If they want to give a revenue, they will ask you or donate.
I don't like it when someone or something decides for myself and forces me to do something what I don't want.
Maybe I don't like your site? I don't want to help you, but in most cases I have no choice.
If I smell an add somewhere, I ll never trust this site.
Advertisements in no way force you to do something you don't want. They simply appear with the content that you are looking for and you have a choice to click it if you like, and in the process support the site that you are using free of charge to get content from. Also, if you don't like a site, don't use it - that is your choice. But to use their site and give them nothing in return is wrong.

Last edited:
Advertisements in no way force you to do something you don't want. They simply appear with the content that you are looking for and you have a choice to click it if you like, and in the process support the site that you are using free of charge to get content from. Also, if you don't like a site, don't use it - that is your choice. But to use their site and give them nothing in return is wrong.

If you rely on ads, then this is a sign for me to not to trust your passion/site or whatever. If your site grows, then there are many people who you could ask for help if you really want to give something to a community. But in most cases site owners pretend to give something to the users, while having in mind that one day they will get some cash.

I have a choice to click on ads. BUT I don't have a choice not to see them. This is how ads work. They try to get to your brain and they succeed when you see them. If I click or not, it does not matter, because I already saw the ad. If I click, the owner would get a revenue, but my point was that I don't want that someone forces me to do something. And when site owner places ads, then they force me to see those ads!

And next step is, that there are some ads, you have no choice else then to click them. Because they block your view, so you must click to close them, but they are really annoying in most cases because you can not close them.
And pop-ups. The best way of annoy someone...

Last but not least, I don't know how you were raised and think about life, but I don't want people around me (especially kids) to see +18 ads, me neither.
In most cases, I don't know what kind of ads a site uses. I have to visit them before I know. So "just don't visit them" isn't a good advice.

So disabling all ads works fine for me. Why should it be wrong to use a site and give nothing back? Because you say so?
AND who told you that I don't give anything back? For you giving back something is money I see.
But for me not. There are other ways to give something back. Like help them out, be thankful, be kind, support with content, and so on.

If you rely on ads, then this is a sign for me to not to trust your passion/site or whatever. If your site grows, then there are many people who you could ask for help if you really want to give something to a community. But in most cases site owners pretend to give something to the users, while having in mind that one day they will get some cash.

I have a choice to click on ads. BUT I don't have a choice not to see them. This is how ads work. They try to get to your brain and they succeed when you see them. If I click or not, it does not matter, because I already saw the ad. If I click, the owner would get a revenue, but my point was that I don't want that someone forces me to do something. And when site owner places ads, then they force me to see those ads!

And next step is, that there are some ads, you have no choice else then to click them. Because they block your view, so you must click to close them, but they are really annoying in most cases because you can not close them.
And pop-ups. The best way of annoy someone...

Last but not least, I don't know how you were raised and think about life, but I don't want people around me (especially kids) to see +18 ads, me neither.
In most cases, I don't know what kind of ads a site uses. I have to visit them before I know. So "just don't visit them" isn't a good advice.

So disabling all ads works fine for me. Why should it be wrong to use a site and give nothing back? Because you say so?
AND who told you that I don't give anything back? For you giving back something is money I see.
But for me not. There are other ways to give something back. Like help them out, be thankful, be kind, support with content, and so on.

You walk down the street and see an ad, are you going to go complain because you saw it?

I'm sorry but while I do block some ads, ones that typically get in your face, I don't agree with you in that having ads is somehow being a horrible site.

Wikipedia is an example, they don't have ads, so they rely on donations, and they are always sending out personal pleas. Having an ad or using it for revenue doesn't make it a bad site. And no, I don't make my sites for money, but I will admit, having put a lot of work into them, I do place ads on my sites to hopefully offset costs. I try to make them not in your face and out of the way, but it's the right as the owner to have the ads there.

In reality, you're not forced to interact with that ad. I'm not counting having it in your sight line as interacting.

Last edited:
I use ad-blocker and do not serve ad's on my own site.

But, if I do feel some site deserves earning revenue through advertisements, or content providers deserve money, I do add exceptions on my ad-blocker. Some of my exceptions include sides that provide free content and knowledge, a handful of YouTube content creators, etc.

You walk down the street and see an ad, are you going to go complain because you saw it?
Of course it annoys me. But there is no "disable option", so what should I do?
I'm sorry but while I do block some ads, ones that typically get in your face, I don't agree with you in that having ads is somehow being a horrible site.
It does not mean it is horrible. But nobody can tell me that this site is made for users. In this case this site is made for the owner. But it could be a good site for users, but the purpose is the point what I talk about.

Wikipedia is an example, they don't have ads, so they rely on donations, and they are always sending out personal pleas.
That is why everybody use Wikipedia. They are great, you know it, I know it. Everybody loves them. And why are they not down? You see, they get enough help. They need millions, but they still are online. Best example of that it works.

Having an ad or using it for revenue doesn't make it a bad site. And no, I don't make my sites for money, but I will admit, having put a lot of work into them, I do place ads on my sites to hopeful offset costs. I try to make them not in your face and out of the way,
And one day, when you have more revenue then you need, will you disable ads?
No, you will not. C'mon man. 99% of the people around here or around the web has the urge to earn one day money from his/her hobbies. This is ok. But it is not ok to tell me, or tell people that you all do this for the user. That is why I do not trust in advance the sites. If they would do this really for the users, then they would not enable ads. Easy logic.

but it's the right as the owner to have the ads there.
I accept this, I'm fine with this.
And it is my right as a user to disable your ads because I want to decide what I want to see. And in most cases I do not want to support this site even if the ads are ok.

In reality, you're not forced to interact with that ad. I'm not counting having it in your sight line as interacting.
This is your definition and it is fine for you. Not my definition, not fine for me.

Regards.

And one day, when you have more revenue then you need, will you disable ads?
No, you will not. C'mon man. 99% of the people around here or around the web has the urge to earn one day money from his/her hobbies. This is ok. But it is not ok to tell me, or tell people that you all do this for the user. That is why I do not trust in advance the sites. If they would do this really for the users, then they would not enable ads. Easy logic.

If a site costs $100 dollars a month, and ad revenue brings in $112 dollars a month. Disabling ads would just put you negative. So the issue I have with this is that you believe if someone makes money off of it, it must not be for the user, but there's plenty of people who do this for a living, they need to eat, have a place to live, have internet/hardware to maintain the site.

For me, we have ads, and we accept donations, we have a website and we also have 5 game servers. And if our income for the a month beats the expenses, then I'll either save it for the next month, or use it to buy something for the community, whether it's another server, another plugin, another addon or a new theme. Having advertisements isn't not caring about the users, some of these sites, without ads, they wouldn't be around.

As far as Wikipedia goes, their pleas basically function as ads, they're trying to get you to donate and so they place text/images on each page. And not everyone can rely simply on donations, my gaming community is primarily kids/teens. Not many of them have spare money lying around on their credit cards to throw me some bucks.

When it comes down to it, I believe that advertisements are just part of the game, you see them in print, tv and on the Internet. Everyone cares about their viewership but they know that it's also their responsibility to keep the doors open.

If a site costs $100 dollars a month, and ad revenue brings in $112 dollars a month. Disabling ads would just put you negative.
You can not afford this site, so why do you open it then? Ahh, right for people of course. I always thought a hobby put you always negative, because it is a hobby. But you clearly say, that you do not want to have red digits. This makes me feel not to trust you more than before. So basically you want to own something with letting the people to pay for you. great.
And next question. What if the revenue brings in 712$ a month and not 112$? You sure would donate this money or give it back to the users, of course ...

So the issue I have with this is that you believe if someone makes money off of it, it must not be for the user, but there's plenty of people who do this for a living, they need to eat, have a place to live, have internet/hardware to maintain the site.
You admit with the second part of your sentence, that this is clearly not for the user. You say it. It is for living, for maintaning. But not for the user.
For me, we have ads, and we accept donations, we have a website and we also have 5 game servers. And if our income for the a month beats the expenses, then I'll either save it for the next month, or use it to buy something for the community, whether it's another server, another plugin, another addon or a new theme.
Fine, it seems you are a great guy. But maybe just because you did not earn enough yet. As I told you, what if you earn really far more than you need? What happens then? We are not in a fairy tale.
Having advertisements isn't not caring about the users, some of these sites, without ads, they wouldn't be around.
Right. That is what I want to say, they would not be around. 99% of the web is based on crap sites. We would be free.
I wish many of them would not be around.

As far as Wikipedia goes, their pleas basically function as ads, they're trying to get you to donate and so they place text/images on each page.
It does not basically function as ads. Because they do not promote anything else. They do not place images in my head, in the head of children. They just ask for help, honest and direct. For themselves, they tell you for what they need it. Everything is transparent.

And not everyone can rely simply on donations, my gaming community is primarily kids/teens. Not many of them have spare money lying around on their credit cards to throw me some bucks.
Isn't it enough for you that those kids are greatful and appreciate you and your site? I see not.
For you it must be some revenue to see that the people are thankful .
I thought you do not do it for money, so where is the problem that you pay for the most of your needs?
Nobody holds a gun and tells you to do it. But as I said, you want to own something but you also do not want to pay.

When it comes down to it, I believe that advertisements are just part of the game, you see them in print, tv and on the Internet.
I hope you do not have kids. When something is bad, than it is bad. To say "it is a part of the game" is not an explanation. If you have the choice, avoid it. Do not sell it that this is the part of the game. Else it is the best way to be superficial.

Everyone cares about their viewership but they know that it's also their responsibility to keep the doors open.
Right. And I want to decide for myself who earns this opened door and who not.

Top Bottom