Do you support the immigration law like Arizona?

pk698

Seems a little extreme, to me. Have to show my passport when I get pulled over? What if the cops all target minority? Hmm. What do you guys think?

In the Netherlands everybody has to have photo id on them at any time for when an authority asks for it - without provocation when they do random search. Or something like that. You get fined if you get pulled over for no reason (or a reason) and can't show ID.

Illegal immigration is out of control in the US. At this point, I consider it a start.
It's been "out of control" from the beginning when we ousted the native americans. ;)
Nope, as it's just going after a symptom not the cause. More short term thinking.
I can see how that is, especially lately as it's being used as a political ploy rather than something intended to help the rest of us.

I can see how that is, especially lately as it's being used as a political ploy rather than something intended to help the rest of us.

Let alone when you look at the legislation in relation to the privatisation of the prison system and what motive drives another and who gets rich from having lots of "illegals" about ........

The main problem being is it's an issue that will take longer than any political term to adjust for the better, and demonstrably so, hence why you get these short term politically driven reactions opposed to a thought out change in policy and thinking.

I got to work at 5am one day, and waited outside the building because my boss wasn't there yet to open the door. A campus guard asked for my ID. Seeing that I had a staff ID, he let me in. I can't imagine if the law is instated here in Oregon, and I'd have to carry my passport with me all the time. Maybe they can just stamp "US Citizen" on my driver's license instead...

Let alone when you look at the legislation in relation to the privatisation of the prison system and what motive drives another and who gets rich from having lots of "illegals" about ........

The main problem being is it's an issue that will take longer than any political term to adjust for the better, and demonstrably so, hence why you get these short term politically driven reactions opposed to a thought out change in policy and thinking.
Yep, which is why recently I was disappointed when this was not passed: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DREAM_Act

I'm just aggravated that I'm being forced to learn a 2nd and 3rd language just to be able to communicate in public at the grocery store or in wal-mart in my own native country. :(

"native" can be see as a relative and temporal term, just depends on how you look at it.

Personally I enjoy the interactions of different languages, though I did spend most of my life growing up in Africa and Europe.

They don't require a passport only a photo ID. Every state in the country require a drivers license! Have you ever tried to cash a check without an ID? I don't see the problem. If you are illegal, you should pay the price with a bus ride to your real country.

oh, don't get me wrong, I love learning new languages and interacting with people in a new way, but it bugs me that I HAVE to learn 'em just to be able to shop in my local stores or check in to a hotel. Not to mention being passed up for a job because the other lady knew 2 other languages fluently. I just wish things were more simple. I'm a creature of habit I guess. That can be a bad thing sometimes.

I don't like that there are people living here illegally, not paying taxes like everyone else, but still enjoying many of our benefits. However, have you seen what it takes to become a citizen? I couldn't pass the test if I had to and I've lived here all my life.

As far as the OP's question, I'm ok with that, sorry. :(

Seems a little extreme, to me. Have to show my passport when I get pulled over? What if the cops all target minority? Hmm. What do you guys think?
Unfortunately, news reports have greatly distorted what SB1070 says, the law does not require you to show your passport when pulled over. In fact the Arizona law if far more restrictive than Federal immigration law's, I'd suggest reading taking a couple minutes to read this for a good primer on Arizona's immigration actually says.

Anyway, it's easy for those of who don't live on the border to criticize Arizona’s immigration law… We don’t live there and we don’t have to deal with daily consequences of the Federal Government’s failure at one its most basic responsibilities — to protect American citizens from foreign threats.

The lack of effective immigration enforcement and border protection has created a lawless environment along our sothern border and Mexico’s violent drug war is spilling across Arizona’s border and endangering the lives of American citizens… If the Federal Government won’t fulfill one of its most basic obligations then the Sate of Arizona has to step in and fill that void to the best of it's abilities.

I don't have that problem, because when I applied for a tourist visa to US I was refused :) So no trips to US for me unless they abandon tourist visas for my country.

I think its a great law. I live in Southern California and my ex g/fs brother was murdered by an undocumented alien who killed him and ran south. It happens a lot here. Also, tons of people get in car accidents with illegals and there is nothing you can do about it. I don't have any problem showing an officer my ID and going along my merry way. The problem is people throw the race card around so much in the US that everything is racists now.

On a side note I agree with the statement about taxes. Also illegals collecting welfare enrages me. I pay alone almost $2000 dollars a month in taxes.

Top Bottom