Do you prefer last breadcrumbs as single outstanding element?

Marcus

1. (integrated) Home>Forums>Public Forums>Suggestions>Do you prefer last breadcrumbs as single outstanding element?
The last breadcrumb is integrated within the breadcrumbs
+ less vertical width
2. (outstanding, current implementation) Home>Forums>Public Forums>Suggestions
Do you prefer last breadcrumbs as single outstanding element?
The last breadcrumb is in the next line and displayed with a large font.
+ actual page topic is easier to read

Thanks for your feedback and your arguments for and against each implementation.

Upvote 1
Then I would disagree completely with integrating the *page title* into the breadcrumbs.

The breadcrumbs tell you how to get back to the root, not where you are.

Then I would disagree completely with integrating the *page title* into the breadcrumbs.

The breadcrumbs tell you how to get back to the root, not where you are.

You are discussing what a breadcrumb is.
The OP wants everything on one line.
Home>Forums>Public Forums>Suggestions>Do you prefer last breadcrumbs as single outstanding element?
Whether that is breadcrumb (one definition) or breadcrumb + title (another definition).
The point is if it should be on one line.

Breadcrumbs are a trail of where you have been.
So in a forum, that definitely includes threads.
In other software packages, it is *NOT* hierarchical.
For a forum, it probably should be hierarchical.

The main issue when including titles in the "breadcrumb" or "Breadcrumb + thread title" is that the title is so long it doesn't fit.

I see the breadcrumbs as a tool where you are :)

If you want to get back you use them for that, too. Or the popup tool. Or the header forum link.

I hope that I can achieve (1) with a simple template change? In vb 4 you have to edit dozens of templates as in each is the h1-title line :(

Yes this would be option (1) integrated in this survey.

Of course the last element would be styled a bit different. But your mockup represents option (1).

Main advantages are for me
- saves vertical space
- displays content more directly
- simpler design

Disadvantage is
- title is not displayed prominently

- titles have to be line breaked. Or the wholelast element is line breaked. To avoid this in most cases my current forum hides most category breadcrumbs.

If you want to style your forum to look like that, you can do so by editing templates.

However, the default style as shipped with XenForo will not be changed to this design.

This source would like my option (1) as suggestion to include everything into one line.
What is Breadcrumb Navigation?

Breadcrumb navigation consists of a one-line navigational text links that indicates the site visitor’s current page location within the website’s hierarchy. Breadcrumbs usually appear close to the top of a web page and serves the purpose to optimize site usability.
Breadcrumb navigation is sometimes called breadcrumb trails.

When to Use Breadcrumb Navigation

Site Usability Expert Jakob Nielsen defines site navigation into 2 categories:
  • Primary navigation: primary site navigation menus and site search box
  • Secondary navigation: breadcrumbs and html sitemaps

Breadcrumbs use a single line of text to show a page’s location in the site hierarchy. While secondary, this navigation technique is increasingly beneficial to users.​
Good breadcrumb navigation should:
  • Display a visitor’s current location relative to the higher-level web pages of the site.
  • Allow one-click access to the higher-level web pages to prevent visitors from getting lost after running site searches. This reduces your site’s bounce rate.
  • Take up as little space as possible on the web page.

There maybe lots of other opinions on the web supporting the current implementation :) From a quick look I can just manipulate PAGE_CONTAINER to achieve option (1) in this survey. Only one template change. Great job devs (y)

Top Bottom