Lack of interest Do you prefer current thread descriptions?

This suggestion has been closed automatically because it did not receive enough votes over an extended period of time. If you wish to see this, please search for an open suggestion and, if you don't find any, post a new one.

Marcus

Do you prefer current thread descriptions like

Discussion in 'Have You Seen...?' started by Kier, Sep 9, 2011.

Quick How-To to disable them: Remove in template thread_view
Code:
<xen:description>
    {xen:phrase discussion_in_x_started_by_y_date_z,
        'forum=<a href="{xen:link forums, $forum}">{$forum.title}</a>',
        'name={xen:helper username, $thread}',
        'date=<a href="{xen:link threads, $thread}">{xen:datetime $thread.post_date, html}</a>'}
</xen:description>

Upvote 0
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
I think his thread poll is it's own. Additionally he provides a resource. I see no harm in that. It's like linking to a source: wiki page ..

First I wanted to make the suggestion to remove this but to be even more helpful to the community I added the template mod and the survey, so this is the history why this thread was started here :) I am curious about arguments for and against the topic descriptions!

The suggestion is to either remove the topic description or make it optional. I find it provides no information at all as it is completely redundant:

1. forum title is displayed in breadcrumb
2. author is displayed in first post
3. published date is displayed in first post
4. That it is actually a discussion ("Discussion in ...") is mentioned no where else, but that is not that hard to get :)

Further more it adds to vertical height. I understand that it is important for other users, so I'd like to know the arguments for keeping it.

Lots of duplication, that is for sure.

xenforo.duplicate.thread.view.webp

Admittedly the thread description has less visual impact because of it's very small size, and lighter font.
I don't think it is very useful ... and it does take up a whole line by itself.
Does the thread description help SEO ? No idea.

Have any Style makers done away with the thread description ?

(1) Another idea might be to right justify the whole thread description line.
(2) 2 line model.
(3) For Marcus.
forum.thread.descriptions.redundant.webp

:)

Digital Doctor, your third mockup displays how my current vb forum looks, and how my xenforo forum will look :) With the (1) exception that I further more removed the redundant "Page 1 of 5" line. There are (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) listed as page, it is pretty good to understand that this is the navigation. And that there are five pages. And as the first page is outlined different, you are most likely on this page. My audience is that clever :) And the other (2) exception that there is no additional [->] quick links popup on my page. But a good integrated quick links popup can be nice.

To be fair, my users like my current vb design much more over the stock xenforo design. They say there is too much "clutter". They want the information, and then they are gone. Some are nice and contribute to the content, though.

When I want something "blinking" / redundant on my page, it is an ad banner I am paid for.

The survey is clear, the most people like to have the description.

I just have a few questions: Do you read the topic description yourself? Or is it more there for SEO so the search engine should read it? Or do you not read it yourself but expect your audience to read it? Thanks!

Top Bottom