Do you ever feel like a broke genius?

Exotic_Peacock

Okay so thankfully this site has an off topic section because this is about as off topic as you can get :)

We all know that people are different, some are business minded, sport minded, when it comes to coding or designing some people 'just get it'. But I am not talking about being good at something I am talking about in your mind.

Not day-dreaming, not pipe-dreaming. I truly believe sometimes I can be border line Elon Musk if only I had the cash or the support. I know everyone has their 'sob story' for me I injured my back and neck playing sport years ago, I was told I was lucky to walk again. Unfortunately, that means I am on the pension ($600 a fortnight), have a wife and four boys so I'm lucky if I can buy a bottle of coke to myself yet alone anything else.

But my mind is one that is always working, always thinking of new things, thinking of ways to do things better. I love to think outside the box, I love to take a risk of trying something new - all great inventions were once all great ideas!

And let me be honest about it returning to forums and browsing through these xF boards don't help. Now I got this idea in my head that if done right could make lots of $$$ easily just need to put aside my coke money for years to get the addons. lol.

Seriously though... do you guys ever feel like a genius, that you could make a difference some how, some way, but you just don't have the $$$ to set it up?

Probably not any help, but I just binge-watched 4 seasons of a series on Netflix called “Halt and Catch Fire.” Man it was a very exciting time for computers and the Internet! Like you said, great ideas from genius people!

“It's the early 1980s, and the spirit of innovation in personal computing is about to catch fire. Hot on the trail is a renegade trio -- a visionary, an engineer and a prodigy -- who risk everything to realize their vision of building a computer that can change the future. Not long after IBM corners the market with its flagship PC, a flaw is discovered in its operation, opening the door for competition. In steps Joe MacMillan, a former IBM executive who now works for Cardiff Electric. MacMillan plans to reverse-engineer IBM's technology, putting Cardiff in the thick of the personal computer race. He enlists the help of engineer Gordon Clark, who dreams of creating a revolutionary computer, and Cameron Howe, a volatile prodigy who puts her future on the line to join MacMillan's rogue project.”

Give it a watch!!

Probably not any help, but I just binge-watched 4 seasons of a series on Netflix called “Halt and Catch Fire.” Man it was a very exciting time for computers and the Internet! Like you said, great ideas from genius people!

“It's the early 1980s, and the spirit of innovation in personal computing is about to catch fire. Hot on the trail is a renegade trio -- a visionary, an engineer and a prodigy -- who risk everything to realize their vision of building a computer that can change the future. Not long after IBM corners the market with its flagship PC, a flaw is discovered in its operation, opening the door for competition. In steps Joe MacMillan, a former IBM executive who now works for Cardiff Electric. MacMillan plans to reverse-engineer IBM's technology, putting Cardiff in the thick of the personal computer race. He enlists the help of engineer Gordon Clark, who dreams of creating a revolutionary computer, and Cameron Howe, a volatile prodigy who puts her future on the line to join MacMillan's rogue project.”

Give it a watch!!
Absolutely will do, thanks for the recommendations. Will have to see if Netflix in Australia has it :)

Give it a watch!!

On my list if I ever re-up for Netflix. I started high school in '79 so literally watched PCs go from toy to everyday tool as I went through high school and university.

Seriously though... do you guys ever feel like a genius, that you could make a difference some how, some way, but you just don't have the $$$ to set it up?

I'm a bit too humble and low in self-esteem but I've seen a couple occasions where ideas of mine could probably have been monetized had I been so inclined at the time. I just don't have an enterpreneurial spirit, though.

do you guys ever feel like a genius, that you could make a difference some how, some way, but you just don't have the $$$ to set it up?
Always. Quite simple, it takes time and money to make money and/or bring an idea to life. The trick/difference is whether an idea you have can convince some folks to use their money to make your idea become a reality :)

exactly. If you have a million dollar idea, draft an NDA, pitch it, and get people to fund it. hire developers to build it and marketers to sell it.
you don't have to be on shark tank to do this. you can even do it here. There are PLENTY of people here who could easily drop 5k on a bright idea to get it off the ground.

Being a motivated genius is a much stronger position. :) Ideas aren't worth very much on their own and if you can prove the concept to yourself (and then at least one other person), everything else will follow. 👇

The trick/difference is whether an idea you have can convince some folks to use their money to make your idea become a reality

Very thought provoking thread though.

Top Bottom