Do you ever click on this in Xenforo ? How often ?

Do you use the Latest Post information in the Forum Home Listing ?

• Total voters
I click it all the time. And use it regularly. But because it doesn't get clicked doesn't necessarily mean it's not useful to know what post is sitting on top of the thread list, or who posted it or what thread just got posted in which the last post data serves. I'd say it's one of those things that serves a purpose being viewed rather than it being click. Point being, a function/feature doesn't have to be beneficial from the clicks it gets, it's information condensed in an area that people can glance at and allow them to decide which thread gets their attention.

Slap in some Post Icons, bring those bad boys back. That was a joke btw.

In this random sample .... less than 50% of the time does the VERY FEW LETTERS in a title even reveal what the thread is actually about.

forum.home.latest.post.information.useless.webp

it's information condensed in an area that people can glance at and allow them to decide which thread gets their attention.
People should use What's New for that as you can read the full titles on What's New. If you want to know New Information that is in a specific Forum, you should click on the forum. It is super fast in Xenforo to click on the Forum and get a thread listing.
Point being, a function/feature doesn't have to be beneficial from the clicks it gets
Yes, it pretty much does. A what's new listing gets lots of clicks .... showing it is useful. The Latest Post Listing on Forum Home gets very little clicks because it isn't useful.

Anyone else want to give some REASON why the Latest Post information is useful ?

I agree.
I never check/use the last post info....

And since i have my "recent threads" block ( http://ragtek.org/xenforo/ ) i also don't use what's new anymore because my forum isn't very active, that there are more then 5 new posts since the last visit:D

In this random sample .... less than 50% of the time does the VERY FEW LETTERS in a title even reveal what the thread is actually about.

View attachment 16984

People should use What's New for that as you can read the full titles on What's New. If you want to know New Information that is in a specific Forum, you should click on the forum. It is super fast in Xenforo to click on the Forum and get a thread listing.

Yes, it pretty much does. A what's new listing gets lots of clicks .... showing it is useful. The Latest Post Listing on Forum Home gets very little clicks because it isn't useful.

Anyone else want to give some REASON why the Latest Post information is useful ?

Why should they be forced to make an extra click when a glance at the last post area tells them everything they need? The what's new just happens to be a bonus imo which btw I regularly use.

I compared

IMO

the 5 forums I could think of.

Xenforo won by an Landslide

IMO.

>>>> More here. <<<<

Xenforo is clearly the best thought out. Cutting out the crap where it should be.

except of course the final cutting: the near useless Latest Post listings.

Style designers should take note:
  • Get rid of the Latest Post listings ... people will think your style looks clean & great .... but not know why ! :)

Comparably, if it were removed the node listing would look sparse and bland. As it does serve a use, anything that was added to fill its void would likely be lacking equally in usage, or would be nothing more than eye candy serving no real reason for being there other than to fill the void.

Clearly you missed that ;).

Not bland at all ...
Clean = Easier to read = Winner.
Clutter = fail.
Not seeing how you think that is cluttered, and if thats the only objection to it, you can increase the padding and margin, and the size of the node container in general to fit your taste.

Nearly every style I have seen that has removed it has either replaced with eye candy, or left blank. Eye candy serves no use, and often defeats the whole point of going for the minimal look (Which is the only valid reason for removing the last post). Leaving it blank leaves a largely undesigned area and just looks unappealing to people.

Also, the last post area gives guests and users a false sense of activity for the most part. If you remove it, many will believe there is less activity than there is.

Really, the last posts main reason for existence is to give users a visual key as needed so they can quickly see if there is a new posts, who the author is, and when the last post was dated.

The last post area serves a purpose, and while it is probably not used to click through much (I use it only occasionally as I use What's New and mass reply or read posts), and its purpose is to show the last post, and information regarding it (date of the post, and the author).

Comparably, if it were removed the node listing would look sparse and bland. As it does serve an use, anything that was added to fill its void would likely be lacking equally in usage, or would be nothing more than eye candy serving no real reason for being there other than to fill the void.
i once was able to rejigger my old vb install to remove that last post data and instead posted a list of the last x amount of posts in that entire section
so lets say i had a comic book section and had batman, superman, the atom, the blue beetle, and the wonder twins
well most people are going to care about batman and superman and only a few people are going to really care about the atom or blue beetle or the wonder twins
so those other 3 lesser superheroes dont really have the traffic enough to have their latest post (which might be from like a week ago) cluttering up the section that could better be used by more batman and superman content
so what i did effectively replaced what is there by default with only the newest news for the section which would 99% of the time be batman or superman related

i used something similar for another site where i had like 20 forums per section
so i hid all the forums completely from the main page and just showed the sections but placed a grid of icons that represent those hidden forums
this allows for much less real estate to be used in the initial page
instead of 10 sections with 20 forums each we just had 10 sections that showed a small grid of icons
cut the size of the page by more than half, way more than half
and to the right side i placed a list of the last x amount of posts in that particular section
so in each sections only about half of the forums were really active
the rest were there to be slowly built up and because they were part of a league structure of a sport where each leagues teams had to be given a forum even if there was not much of a following for certain teams
this way the last post from like a year ago for that team does not have to continue cluttering up the initial page of your forum
instead you get just the information from the forums your users use the most for that particular section
and everybody wins

i btw, have no coding skills at all
but just reading the forums at vb or here you can cut and paste your way to a lot of stuff
sure that is looked down upon by codes and designers, but for those of us with no skill its always a blessing when someone posts copies of how they did certain things for the rest of us to share and use

Because it doesn't tell them everything they need.
That is the entire post.
The uselessly truncated titles are a waste of time.

I really don't agree with you but I feel you may have touched on a good point with regards to the lastpost area worthy of a revisit. Perhaps a good idea would be a group of brainstormers (not to be mistaken for stormchasers folks) thrash out and design some mocksups what their ideal last post area would be and from that ideas from mocks could evolve into something we have never seen before that super seeds the last post area. Talk is good, mocks are better if that leads to the next step of innovation to an area on xenforo that sets a trend for other software to be inspired from.

Newest 1 or 2 threads + feature to scroll to the older ones.
That's enought to know if there are more new threads and if it's worth to click into the forum (for example announcements.... I missed really many announcements, because i read the latest one via "last thread link" and i never visited the announcement forum itself.
That's why i stopped using the "latest thread link"

that's what i mean:

on mouseover of the area appears a (or both if you can go up & down) arrow where you can see the next thread

(sorry for the bad quality:D )

Attachments

• somethinglikethis.webp
    somethinglikethis.webp
    40.8 KB · Views: 23
that's what i mean:

on mouseover of the area appears a (or both if you can go up & down) arrow where you can see the next thread

(sorry for the bad quality:D )
That would require more interaction then clicking through to the forum, making it less intuitive.

Top Bottom