XF 2.1 Do Sitemaps make a difference?

Jon12345

My forum has been running for 20 years and I don't have a sitemap. Switched from vBulletin 3.8 to Xenforo a couple of days ago, so wondering if I should generate a sitemap.xml and submit to Google Search Console.

Do they make much of a difference? Has anyone got data to show they increase the number of urls indexed?

I've read that Google's technology is so good nowadays that it spiders everything anyway. What is true?

Sitemaps don't make a dramatic difference... but it comes down to "why not"?

The main benefit probably comes from discoverability for Google and crawl priorities. Google only spends so much time on a given site. So might as well point it to the new stuff via sitemap than necessarily letting Google waste time trying to find stuff on its own. It's probably a mild benefit, but again -- why not? It won't hurt.

arn

I notice in the settings that Xenforo automatically submits sitemaps to Google Webmaster Tools and Bing. But I see nothing under my Google Search Console regarding submitted sitemaps.

Should I also add one there? Why isn't it showing as submitted?

Do I submit mysite.com/forums/sitemap.xml?

I had a look at sitemap.xml and it links to lots of smaller sitemaps, so do I just submit that parent sitemap?

Top Bottom