XF 2.0 Is there a difference between messages and conversations?

indepth

I'm wanting to pull out message count and notifications for an external dashboard.

I've got it working, but it seems that [message_count] => 0 isn't being updated when I send the user a message. The [conversations_unread] does update; along with all other user information as it changes. But not the message count.

So now I'm wondering, is this no longer used in XF as a tally of all the messages received; now that they're called conversations.

Or is there a difference between messages and conversations? I always thought they were synonyms.

Well, after doing a bit more testing, it appears {message_count} is actually the count of posts a user had. Strange label for that, but ok.

So, is there no way to pull the message count for private conversations any longer? Is this just considered irrelevant information now that threaded conversations have basically replaced individual private messages?

Yeah, basically. We track the unread state of conversations on a per conversation basis, rather than per message within a conversation. I don't think it's particularly crucial to know how many messages you've received within an unread conversation vs. simply how many conversations that contain any number of messages which I haven't read yet.

Yeah, basically. We track the unread state of conversations on a per conversation basis, rather than per message within a conversation. I don't think it's particularly crucial to know how many messages you've received within an unread conversation vs. simply how many conversations that contain any number of messages which I haven't read yet.

I guess the more I think about it the line does blur between private messages, conversations, active conversations, etc. Will adjust our interface plans to simply show unread messages.

Thx.

Top Bottom