• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Do long threads influence performance on a forum?

I have some threads on my platform that consists of 400+ pages (!)

I was wondering if threads with a very high amount of pages can cause issues with performance? We are on a shared server and our host is complaining and wants to upsell us to a very expensive VPS.

I am now on vB 3.8, but if we switch to Xenforo I would like to know if it's best to split these threads up in smaller threads or that Xenforo handles these kinds of things better anyway compared to other products.

From what I've seen (and based on the thread Brogan linked to), performance is not a reason to split threads on XenForo.

The only reason it might be an issue is that it becomes a pain to moderate - but whether this is actually an issue would depend on your site and your moderation style.

I admit that part of the pain of moderating really long threads on my vB sites is the slow loading of multiple pages - which shouldn't really be an issue on XenForo - so most of that moderation pain may well go away (other than the pain of needing to navigate through so many pages to find problem content).

XenForo moderation actions such as copying & moving posts between threads are operations which are sensitive to long threads.
Last edited: