Do i need VPS hosting to run the forum?

Do i need VPS hosting to run the forum?
If no what is the basic hosting requirements for running forum software
From the purchase page:
  • PHP: 5.2.4+
  • MySQL: 5.0+
  • PHP extensions: MySQLi, GD (with JPEG support), PCRE, SPL, SimpleXML, DOM, JSON, iconv, ctype
  • PHP safe_mode off

You can also download this and put it on your server...visiting the page will tell you if you can install Xenforo or not.

https://xenforo.com/xenforo-requirements-test.zip

No, it runs fine on shared hosting.

That kind of blanket statement will lead to unhappy customers.

I've used XenForo with three shared hosting providers:
  • FatCow: Avoid them like the plague along with any other members of the Endurance International Group. They can't hand loads. Lots of blank pages returned with no content, DB accesses metered on an hourly basis, a thread that became popular (12K views in < 24 hours) overloaded their servers and got my account suspended, DB backups more often than not are incomplete and missing multiple columns of data, non-standard control panel mandates manual migrations when you finally pull the plug & move (complicated by the incomplete DB backups). I also used to run several vBulletin/vbSEO sites there; they kept breaking vbSEO (and the sites) by turning off mod_rewrite. :mad:
  • NameCheap: standard CPanel, good overall BUT: Their mod_security implementation apparently imposes Google's safe browsing API on your content, resulting in phantom 403 errors ("you are not allowed to access index.php on this server") when a post runs afoul of the content filters. They refuse to disable mod_security for shared hosting accounts. This simply is not workable in a forum environment.
  • Oderland (Sweden): No issues, standard CPanel, ease & integrity of backups were awesome after my experiences with FatCow.
Once you pick a host (shared or VPS), spend a few hours researching them on the internet, especially checking WebHostingTalk.com and asking here on XenForo.com in the appropriate forum It's time well spent.

My current personal recommendations are KnownHost (VPS) and Oderland (shared). Oderland unfortunately is rather expensive by U.S. standards.

Those issues are not related to shared hosting, rather the hosts themselves.

Strictly speaking, that's correct, but you get what you pay for and shared hosting is a "pay less, get less" situation. What you get less of, besides overall performance, will vary a lot.

Do your research carefully. My expectation would be that a lightly loaded forum should should experience zero hassles. I'm batting .333 at getting that.

NameCheap did respond later today that they had disabled mod_security, so we'll see ... I kind of let them have it very politely but w/ both barrels. :)

Strictly speaking, that's correct, but you get what you pay for and shared hosting is a "pay less, get less" situation. What you get less of, besides overall performance, will vary a lot.

Do your research carefully. My expectation would be that a lightly loaded forum should should experience zero hassles. I'm batting .333 at getting that.

NameCheap did respond later today that they had disabled mod_security, so we'll see ... I kind of let them have it very politely but w/ both barrels. :)
Hows godaddy's shared hosting ?

I suggest to check WHT. You can find information about specific hosts and lots of good deals. And stay away from GoDaddy, DreamHost, HostGator and anything that offers "unlimited" plans.

Unfortunately it still runs inferior forum software :(

As Arty above suggested, check out WebHostingTalk and start a thread there, you will find the right host. I found my current host (http://mddhosting.com/) from WHT, have been with them for 2 years 6 months now (first 2 years on shared hosting!) and they were just fantastic.

Remember these basic rules for hosts to avoid:
  • Avoid any company owned by EIG, a complete list here - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Endurance_International_Group
  • Avoid hosts that offer very cheap services, you don't need to empty your bank to find a good host but you can't expect much from a 2$/per month host as well.
  • Avoid hosts that offer "unlimited" services, just like many "cheap" hosts they oversell their servers and usually their quality of service is very low.
@DarkGizmo suggested HawkHost, they are also pretty good (and I've heard only good things about them). You can read reviews about MDDHosting and HawkHost (and find other good reliable hosts) on WebHostingTalk.

i live in india n i would need telephonic help as well ....do this hosting provide such service ?
i registered in web hosting talk but they denied my registration...
tell me someother forum where i can understand hosting

Last edited:
Top Bottom