XF 1.5 Do I need to do incremental install when moving between several versions?

jadmperry

I am currently running 1.5.6. Downloaded the upgrade package for 1.5.14.

FTP'd all the upload files, went to the site /install and at the end, it says I am running the current version (1.5.6).

I will re-upload, just wondering if the problem is I need to do incremental upgrades? Or maybe something else? Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

Nope (and that'd be a pain if we were forced to do it that way).

I'd double check that I uploaded all the files correctly and make sure the page isn't cached.

Weird....I downloaded the complete package for 1.5.14, uploaded them, got the same error, hit "rebuild master data" and it said I have successfully installed 1.5.6.

Completely stumped. I have re-uploaded the upgrade package for 1.5.14....and after /install/index.php?upgrade ....still get "
You are already running the current version (1.5.6)."

1.5.6 came before 1.5.14. The 6 indicates it is the 6th 3rd point release, 14 is the 14th. So 1.5.14 is the latest version.

It sounds like you're uploading the files to the wrong location. Note that up upload the contents of the upload folder (to where XenForo is installed), not the upload folder itself.

If you're 100% positive you're overwriting the existing files and this is still showing, then there could be an opcode cache that isn't checking for updated files. (That's good for performance but bad in many other scenarios.) In that case, restarting your web server/PHP-FPM would be the simplest resolution.

Jake Bunce helped me and sorted my issues.

I could give an operatic and lengthy explanation of all of the travails I have had in trying to upgrade. At the end of the day, I think the majority or problems were user error...I had not tried to upgrade for probably a year or more. In the meantime, my hosting plan changed, I started using cpanel, lots of other variables were injected.

Somewhere along the way, I read a thread/post on here that suggested deleting
install-lock.php file as a step. Well, I took that step, and it screwed everything up. So, don't do that unless you definitely know what you are doing (which I obviously did not).

Thanks all for your input, help, and big ups to Jake Bunce for helping me sort my issues.

If you're 100% positive you're overwriting the existing files and this is still showing, then there could be an opcode cache that isn't checking for updated files. (That's good for performance but bad in many other scenarios.) In that case, restarting your web server/PHP-FPM would be the simplest resolution.
Thanks, Mike!
I appreciate your response. Jake sorted my issues via my support ticket.

I use FILEZILLA to FTP and I noticed (at least with my settings- which may be a problem) that uploading did not work well to get the files where they needed to go.....I had to go down to the individual file level to move things over. Lots of variables on my side that might explain it (new laptop, new installation of FILEZILLA, new hosting plan that moved to cpanel (which prompted different file paths), and me being dumber for forgetting a lot of things since the last time I updated my version of XF.

So, I am not sure my problems were not just the result of "rust" in dealing with upgrading.

Really appreciate the help I received here and from Jake via my support ticket. Less than 5 hours to get my cardiac arrhythmia under control and to fix my issue completely.

Can't wait for XF 2.0!! Best of luck, gents!!

Last edited:
I loaded your site and I see XF at the root, though it's displaying an error message. Clicking on the "forums" link takes me to http://www.pebforum.com/forums/ and that displays correctly.

At lot of the images are triggering 404 errors now. My guess is that the files in styles/pebforum were removed somehow, so you'll need to reupload those.

I do get that error if I go to /site, though that's not a core part of XF so I don't know what is expected there. It may be a chmod issue if that directory actually exists, but if so, that presumably isn't connected to XF.

Thanks, Mike, and Jake.... not sure the cause of my issues, but, I opened a second support ticket (both tickets opened after midnight EST) and Jon Coleman came in and squared me away.

Really, can't say how impressive the support here is. Had several problems, really hard for me to identify and fix on my own, made some missteps, etc., and in short order the XF team came to my rescue and sorted all of my problems (again in the early hours for my local time and quickly).

Thanks for the superb support! You guys rock!

Top Bottom