1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XF 1.3 Display Order - Plus and Minus Signs

Discussion in 'XenForo Questions and Support' started by Amaury, Mar 29, 2014.

1. Amaury

Amaury Well-Known Member

Why do the increments work differently on different things?

For example, clicking the plus sign on a thread prefix group increases the order number by ten, whereas clicking the plus sign on a thread prefix increases the order number by one.

I'm mostly curious because I keep hearing that increments of ten are the best; however, it seems like the software already "chooses" the best way like in my example above.

2. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

That is defined in the code for each option.

For example:
    Code:
     ...min="1" max="50" step="1"/>
    The step value defines the incremental value each time the + or - is clicked.

Amaury likes this.
  3. Amaury

Amaury Well-Known Member

Yeah, that's kind of what I knew already, so does that basically mean that increments of ten are best in thread prefix groups, but increments of one are best in thread prefixes?

4. Brogan

It's up to the developer and what they deem to be the best setting.

Amaury likes this.
  5. Amaury

Amaury Well-Known Member

In this case, XenForo. Got it. Thanks, Brogan. (I didn't see your edited post.)

Now, while we're on the subject, I remember reading somewhere why increments of ten are best, but I don't remember what it was. Wasn't it something about less room for error?

6. Brogan

Increments of 10 (or more) are advised for e.g. display styling priority and node ID numbering.

Doing so allows for easy addition of more elements without renumbering everything.

Amaury likes this.