1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XF 1.5 Does the node display order matter?

Discussion in 'XenForo Questions and Support' started by Apodictive, Oct 13, 2016.

1. Apodictive

Apodictive Member

I am currently setting up my forum and was wondering if there are any issues with setting the display order or the nodes in increments of 10?

I am doing this to leave room for future node additions that I would want to place between two existing nodes, I just want to make sure that there are not and will not be any issues by doing it this way.

Right now I am numbering the nodes like 10, 20, 30 and so on, this way if I need to add one later between two nodes I can easily do it without having to do any reordering of the existing nodes. I am doing it all through the node tree.

Is this method of display order numbering ok?

Thanks in advance.

2. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

That's a good approach and what I typically recommend.

If you want to allow even more flexibility, you can increase the step to 20 or more.

Apodictive likes this.
  3. Apodictive

Apodictive Member

Thanks Brogan, that's what I needed to know. I just wanted to make sure before I found out I would have to fix them later. :)

Is there any kind of limit as far as what you can number the nodes up to in XenForo? Meaning, is it ok to go to 100, 120 and so on?

4. CyclingTribe

CyclingTribe Well-Known Member

I start at 30 and then increment in blocks of 40 - leaving a good bit of wriggle-room for changes later on (and there will be changes, there always are as your community develops), e.g.:

etc.

Apodictive likes this.
  5. Apodictive

Apodictive Member

Thanks for the input and reply, every bit of info helps. :)

I am planning on changes as much as possible. I am sure other things will come up along the way so I am trying to account for everything I can foresee.

P.S. Love your logo and node icon on your forum. ;)

CyclingTribe likes this.
  6. CyclingTribe

CyclingTribe Well-Known Member

Inspired by an icon I bought from the Noun Project.

7. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

The limit is so high it's unlikely you will ever hit it.
    For reference, mine are numbered 100, 200, etc.

8. Apodictive

Apodictive Member

Wow, numbering by hundreds leaves lots of growth room! I didn't know numbers like that were possible.

Thanks for the info.