• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Lack of interest Dismiss alerts when clicking back

Moshe1010

Like on Facebook, I'm wondering if it's possible to dismiss alerts (that you already reviewed) once clicking "back" on the browser.

Currently, when there is a new alert that was already reviewed, clicking "back" on the browser keeps showing me that I have an alert that hasn't reviewed yet. However, when I have an alert on Facebook, and I reviewed it, clicking back keeps the alert to be dismissed.

Last edited:

Jeremy

Facebook does a long pulling system where it constantly hits the server checking for notifications. And since it constantly hits a server for updated notifications, it can remove them.

XenForo, however, only checks on AJAX calls. It could fire off a request on page load, but personally, I think that's slightly a waste of a call.

Mike

XenForo developer
Staff member
FB also uses push state significantly so pressing back doesn't actually go back a page in the browser implementation.

So, huge change to do that (and probably something that would interfere with a lot of things our customers do :)).