Discourse

You realize that XF added the image pasting function in 1.2? (And we support Firefox with it...)
Yes, just tried it, it works really nice and transparently uploads the image as an attachment.
My members love to paste complex word documents with images. I have tried the "drag and drop" but not the "paste". Nice having this integrated and working.

Still, some good ideas with discourse, the login with any system, the real time updates, the automatic expansion of links (like youtube videos)

Basically any link.
Look at how Facebook does it every time a link is posted, a short snippet of the page is extracted and an optional image is included.

I also have this but on my homepage system http://www.nihonomaru.com/profile/rina-touin.1/wall, don't know why Xenforo can't include it, profile wall may be?
I was actualy looking to get discourse (still feel it needs more time developing) for the homepage community and link it to the homepage profile but i'd like to use Xenforo if it would allow me to do this.

Can Xenforo allow me to link my homepage db to it and have one profile for both the homepage and the forum? Xenforo needs an api like for 3rd party software based on other framework to work with, so it can work with anything. I don't want to have 2 accounts, one for forum and one for the homepage really.

There is one thing i am starting to dislike about forums in general whether it is vb, xenforo, ipb etc., the standard looking columns of a forum categories directory and how threads look.

Discouse did a good job at introducing a different unique look but it will take time for it to develop more.

Currently Discourse and XF are my favourite forum platforms. I would use Discourse for a new forum and XF for my existing, bigger forums - because XF has most of the features my users are used to and new ones that they would like too.

Discourse is definitely a forum to watch for the future tho, it has a really good team behind it and huge interest from developers. XF might want to keep an eye on what they're doing, and do what they have always done... offer options! Add discourse-like features to XF as options. EG, let admins decide on type of forum homepage - latest posts or categories (just using that a a simple example), or add infinite scrolling, again let admins decide whether it should be on or not.

Currently Discourse and XF are my favourite forum platforms. I would use Discourse for a new forum and XF for my existing, bigger forums - because XF has most of the features my users are used to and new ones that they would like too.

Discourse is definitely a forum to watch for the future tho, it has a really good team behind it and huge interest from developers. XF might want to keep an eye on what they're doing, and do what they have always done... offer options! Add discourse-like features to XF as options. EG, let admins decide on type of forum homepage - latest posts or categories (just using that a a simple example), or add infinite scrolling, again let admins decide whether it should be on or not.

I like the way Discourse view topics looks and function. But nothing else. Just view threads

I toyed around with an install of this a few days back, and it was pretty enjoyable to work with (though still very beta.)

The problem I see with it is that for most people, the hardware requirements seem much steeper than your normal PHP based forum application. If you're starting a new community the initial investment would be higher than sticking it on a modest share hosting plan. I guess it could plateau for a while for the first bit of growth, but if hardware demands increase steadily with your userbase I would be very concerned with how expensive it would be to run on that platform with even a moderately sized community.

I toyed around with an install of this a few days back, and it was pretty enjoyable to work with (though still very beta.)

The problem I see with it is that for most people, the hardware requirements seem much steeper than your normal PHP based forum application. If you're starting a new community the initial investment would be higher than sticking it on a modest share hosting plan. I guess it could plateau for a while for the first bit of growth, but if hardware demands increase steadily with your userbase I would be very concerned with how expensive it would be to run on that platform with even a moderately sized community.

Yeah it's definitely not for nubes - which I think is a positive.

However it is very scaleable - that's why ubuntu forums is considering the move and testing it right now.

Edit: @Jesepi check this out re suggested server for a busy forum: http://meta.discourse.org/t/migrati...are-requirements-performance/10075/2?u=astonj

Last edited:
after short tour with Discourse,i come back to XenForo
Why? Because with flashy appearance and some features which include in Xenforo or not breakthrough,Discourse has many cons
1. Hard to Install and Require Stronger System : >=1Gb RAM
2. Large Size.
3. Team of Discourse maybe not listen to user.

I think Misago (write by Perl) and NodeBB (wirte by Node.Js),Esotalk (write by PHP) will be new big competitors of Xenforo :d
In my opinion,right now,in PHP, XenForo is the No1 , No2 is IPB,VBB,Burning Board 4,Vanilla,Discuz (China), No3 is Mybb,Phpbb3,YanBB,Fluxbb,SMF

Last edited:
after short tour with Discourse,i come back to XenForo
Why? Because without flashy appearance and some features which include in Xenforo or not breakthrough,Discourse has many cons
1. Hard to Install and Require Stronger System : >=1Gb RAM
2. Large Size. 4 or 5 times vs Xenforo or others
3. Team of Discourse maybe not listen to user.

I think Misago (write by Perl) and NodeBB (wirte by Node.Js),Esotalk (write by PHP) will be new big competitors of Xenforo :d
In my opinion,right now,in PHP, XenForo is the No1 , No2 is IPB,vBulletin,Burning Board 4,Vanilla,Discuz (China), No3 is Mybb,Phpbb3,YanBB,Fluxbb,SMF

I think I might be inclined to agree now - least for the time being.

I installed a copy on my server for my mods to take a look at (as well as a copy of XF) - they loved XF, and hated Discourse (we are currently using vB). I was set on XF anyway, but was just curious as to what they thought.

Misago is a python/django app - looks pretty neat tho.

I still like Discourse, but it will be a while before it can compete with XF or vB.

NodeBB looks ugh lol
esotalk seems very slow
Niether of these seem a plausible competitor to XF imo.

@Razasharp : Of-course,all of 3 two are newest in forum soft-wares ( even not enough 6 months old , vs XF 4years, VB and others older :eek:) and i see they have great potential.
Cons of them maybe is few support excluded Discourse (founder is famous so he is conservative :sleep: )
Personally, i'm fall in love with Node.Js so i prefer NodeBB :D
p/s,i'm total agree with caderoux
If you are aiming to revolutionize forums, then you have to look at some of the biggest forums and how they handle problems and the ways they chose to do it.

Last edited:
You can't compare the two forum softwares in my opinion.

Heck. . .it slightly bothers me that Discourse calls itself a forum software. It really isn't. At least not by standard of what you'd call a forum nowadays.

Lets call it for what it is a powerful more advanced hybrid of Disqus Comment System and Reddit. Now don't misunderstand, thats NOT a bad thing. That is actually a good thing in its own right.

xF is amazing and it is my favorite software, I will hopefully continue to use it for many more years to come, I mean I used vB for about a decade. I use xF for all my big sites and I don't see how I would ever not important any large project into xF.

Thats not to say Discourse is bad either.

Lets take something I want to do as an example. I've been thinking about starting a fan site for a youtuber that I like to watch so his fans can get off a subreddit. Discourse is an extremely good jump from Reddit, better then xF. Why? Because people are used to similar functionality.

In the future if it gets big, I'd do an import to xF if the need ever came up.

Discourse works for support forums, and not at all for discussion forums.

A game I kickstarted uses it for their community forum (http://stonehearth.net) and I avoid using their forums at all costs because it's a complete pain in the ass to deal with.

I am in love with discourse. It takes the focus away from forums nodes towards discussions and content. Its of course not for the forum regulars who have been around for years as it is forward looking. Not to say it is perfect but it is definitely what I was thinking about when I made this post here -> https://xenforo.com/community/threads/flarum-forums-reimagined.84773/#post-845488

http://community.sitepoint.com

http://try.discourse.org/

I am going to seriously evaluate this software over the next few weekends. Just that I am sick of migrating forum software as it kills the traffic and users feel worn out initially.

Top Bottom