Discipline / Infraction System

Hm possibly, but I was thinking moderator bar integration. I think XF should make such a system a bit more friendly though, and I mean for the people receiving a warning.
What I meant was that the fearure of the "Discouragement System" should be selectable as a infraction/penalty. :)

i reckon the infractions system, like any other feature i dont need or want, is only bloat :)
besides, we should be worried about whether an infraction will hurt somebodies feelings or whatnot, yes?

this should be left as a possible addon.

dietetzer, without being rude, I guess you've never run a large forum then.

This is a requirement for a large forum these days and in no way is it 'bloat'. If you're worried that an infraction would hurt someone's feelings then I question whether you're in the right place to be running a forum! lol

Either that or you've got the nicest, best behaved members on the Internet.

dietetzer, without being rude, I guess you've never run a large forum then.
Not even just large forums. I run a smaller community, but even there it was an absolute mess to manage what everyone did, and there were several instances of moderators giving out "unequal punishment", in that someone was, say, banned for their first time spamming when someone else got by about 6 times without any fault. I can't even begin to imagine how cumbersome the entire task is for a larger board that really needs the system. The Infraction System was a Godsend!

Feelings are feelings, but for someone to know not to do something again they need to feel some kind of remorse for having done so; that's human nature. An infraction is just that, a reminder that you did something dumb so you don't do it again (and it's a handy tool for remembering what each user did).

i leave it to the members to use the ignore function.
id rather have a comprehensive ignore system; something that allows a user to completely scrub another user from their life, than to have draconian infraction/banning tools. im not a babysitter.

Problem is, in general, some members are more troublesome than others, and there is no way to keep track of those things at this time. At the very least some way of searching / sorting the reported posts by member ID would be nice. At some point, something needs to be done if people are not reasonable.

Even if there are no behavior issues some people need more help than others regarding things like how to use the forum, etc. At this time my approach is to have an excel spread sheet with the first column being the users ID, then other columns having links and notes... not sure how well that will work, and I certainly cannot share that with my moderators because it is on my home computer.

i leave it to the members to use the ignore function.
id rather have a comprehensive ignore system; something that allows a user to completely scrub another user from their life, than to have draconian infraction/banning tools. im not a babysitter.
Its different ways of managing a forum, neither wrong, neither right. We prefer a more hands-on approach and use the infraction system a lot, as many do. You it appears prefer a more hands off approach and leave it to the members.

It explains why you don't see the need for such a system, but you need to appreciate that alot of people are more hands on and need such a system to lighten the moderation load on a medium to large site.

Problem is, in general, some members are more troublesome than others, and there is no way to keep track of those things at this time. At the very least some way of searching / sorting the reported posts by member ID would be nice. At some point, something needs to be done if people are not reasonable.

Even if there are no behavior issues some people need more help than others regarding things like how to use the forum, etc. At this time my approach is to have an excel spread sheet with the first column being the users ID, then other columns having links and notes... not sure how well that will work, and I certainly cannot share that with my moderators because it is on my home computer.
I'd imagine google docs could make that accessible for your entire staff.

the size of the board isnt the issue people are making it out to be.
its about the board culture.
As I said, its both. With your approach, size doesn't matter at all. With other's approach size does matter as it becomes more and more of a problem as the board grows and takes more and more of your time up.

I realise this is a dead thread but is there any official response to some kind of punishment system? It's the only thing stopping me from switching from my current vB3 system.

It doesn't hurt to revive a thread from time to time, it reminds anyone who needs reminding how important this feature is to a lot of board admins.

But it this way, we cannot migrate from vB until such a system is in place. Perhaps we just attract a minority of people who need be to poked back into line from time to time with a infraction/warning/discipline stick, but since it was added into vB, we do rely on it.

Its like Sky+ really, you never know how you coped without it, until you don't have it any more! (For those of you not UK based, Sky+ = DVR, sort of like Tivo).

Yeah, this is the main thing stopping me from buying a licence also. The users of my forum contribute, but are also so strongly into their own opinions that they'll go about insulting anyone or generally causing mayhem to get their opinions heard.

As soon as XF has this, nothing is holding me back!

Yeah, this is the main thing stopping me from buying a licence also. The users of my forum contribute, but are also so strongly into their own opinions that they'll go about insulting anyone or generally causing mayhem to get their opinions heard.
Glad to see I'm not the only one suffering with a few over opinionated members ;)

Top Bottom