Discipline / Infraction System

Why not have two methods of handling users, as an admin-definable setting/option?

1. Record user behavior through warnings, infractions, recorded PMs, all of which are made known to the user at the time of issuance... Bans can be automatically enacted based on infractions, etc. Essentially something similar to vBulletin's infraction system
    This route suits those with large boards or sites that require simple, objective, efficient behavior-management.
  2. Record user behavior through a private note/record-keeping system. Rather than the bland, plain, inefficient vBulletin User Notes system, have something like a "User Activity Log" where staff members can create entries for events that should be made note of. Also maybe include a point-based system and be able to see at any instance in time how many points a particular member has. This log, the points, and any other recorded information would be totally private and available only to staff members. So if a moderator made a log entry stating that, "Johnny directed personal aggression towards other members in the "What do you think of Obama," Johnny wouldn't know that he is being kept track of. It would be up to the moderator to send Johnny a PM, explaining that he broke Rule #2b, and that if he does it again, action may be taken. Users would only know what is sent to them via private messages. Two weeks later, Johnny's at it again, spewing hate to Obama-supporters. Moderator logs the action, and sees that a week before, he had done the same thing. Using their judgment, the moderator makes the call to ban him, including a custom reason and custom message.
    This method suits forums where the admin wishes to keep things more personal, and subjective. They will be able to easily and quickly review all notes/log-entries for a user and determine on a case-by-case basis what type of punitive action should be taken.
Idea 2 above would essentially be the backbone of the behavior management system. A setting that "enables user cognizance of behavior status" would turn the system into option #1.

I'd love to keep going into more detail here, but I figured I'd keep it brief and see what kind of feedback I get.

In any case, a staff member should be able to see how many warnings (or percentage thereof) a member has against their account right in the postbit as well as a popup displaying recent staff notes against the account.

We use IPB so I'm not familiar with the way vB does it, but we have also had to hack in our own automated reduction system as well, that removes a warn point (20% of a maximum 100) after a set period of time, in our case 6 months. Members are aware of this and if they really want to turnaround their behavior they have something to work toward. 100% usually means ban.

The biggest problems I've faced by using either vB or IPB is that developers seem to think that moderation is less important than what it looks like for a guest. Not to say I'm implying that here btw ;) but we have a staff of around 45 and believe me, moderation is needed and utilized daily. Other staff also need to know individual member infractions right from the post that's been reported (previous infractions) in order to make a sensible moderation as well.

I forgot to mention that many of our members have been registered for 9 years, so we also understand that in that time there can be a day or two where that person completely loses it, in our case its not an outright ban, but it IS a permanent mark on their record for future reference.

A points based warning system is extremely useful and something we use a lot on VB. I'd almost go so far as to say it's something that'd be necessary.

no real need..that's what the discouraging system is for..it's much simpler and takes care of everything. I created a page that gets the users redirected to so that when they hit the url redirect random they know what's going on. Frnakly I don't want XF to lok like VB and this feature is simply a VB hangover.

no real need..that's what the discouraging system is for..it's much simpler and takes care of everything. I created a page that gets the users redirected to so that when they hit the url redirect random they know what's going on. Frnakly I don't want XF to lok like VB and this feature is simply a VB hangover.
maybe on a 15 year-olds clan forum.
my users would revolt if i started using discouragement on members. it would be a seriously ugly situation. they would have no tolerance for that at all.

I can't agree with this at all, the way I see it the discouraging system is for annoying people you rather see disappearing completely. Infractions are really there to help my moderators remember how members are behaving, and to draw a line when their behavior isn't getting better. Most big board owners will agree that they are almost unmissable, especially on forums with a lot of high testosterone / high ego members.

Top Bottom