XF 1.1 Disable notifications block

Morgain

There's a default setting that means XF will only send out one or two notifications, then if you don't visit the board you don't get any more.

I've always found this the opposite of useful. If someone is too busy to visit, then that's exactly when they most need to stay in touch by getting their notifications. If they want to cut the number they are getting they should be able to visit to do that, and that might reconnect them.
If notifications fall away, then a busy person is much more likely to forget all about the forum. Ive done it myself with lots of forums when I stop getting notifications. I do tend to visit when I go on getting a series of them and I feel I'm still part of it. People forgetting all about our forums is the last thing we want.

I appreciate some other admins may not see it this way for whatever reason, but that's their business. I think this block on notifications should be at admin discretion so both needs can be happy.

So how do I disable the current setting? I assume there's a bit of php somewhere that sets the number of notifications sent before the notification is disabled. So if that was commented out, or set to zero, that would get what I want, and notifications would go on sending.

totally agree. (y)

People are forgetting to visit a thread if the Alerts disappear..... happened to myself lots of time.
Especially that I did not get any alerts on the same thread later on. The Alerts just stop.

Result: less posts, less content, less traffic,.....

I am looking for a solution to this as well....

:coffee:

Actually a cool way to manage notifications would be to have a Manage link on each thread, on the accounts/alerts page.

manage.webp

So you can tick the ones you want, click Manage dropdown and select Stop email notification/ Stop Alerts/ Stop both
A Show recent stops option bottom of the dropdown, shows all stops done in the last week? so as to Undo.

Then in the email notify have a note advising to go to this page (link to accounts/alerts page) to edit notifications.

I guess an option in ACP to turn this thing off would be the best.

All other stuff is just too complicated for the user......

Last edited:
There's a default setting that means XF will only send out one or two notifications, then if you don't visit the board you don't get any more.

Are you referring to when a member is watching a thread and has selected to be notified by email when a new post is added to the thread?

I'm just now dealing with another rush of complaints that users are not getting the notifications they feel entitled to, and they need them, to keep up with projects they are involved in. Other members are annoyed not to get responses they need to get on with their work, but they don't get them because their posts are not triggering notify emails.

Yet I can do nothing to help them except tell everyone to log in the site at least weekly and plod through the list of recent posts. It's beyond infuriating.

If you opt in to get notifications you should get notifications.
I can't see the justification for removing the service without people's consent.

Its not "removing the service." Depending on how busy your forum is, such a high level of emails could potentially flag your domain or server as a spam service.

Its not "removing the service." Depending on how busy your forum is, such a high level of emails could potentially flag your domain or server as a spam service.
King yes I can see that. But as you say it depends on the level of emails.

Anyway I didn't start this thread to discuss whether or not it's a good idea. I asked for how to do it. I better find a different place for my request so I can find out how to disable this function.

What do you mean by removing the service?
It would be helpful to know what mail program you're using. Also are you getting any email bounce backs?
My system is all standard and this is a standard XF feature to cut off notifications if a thread is not visited.

My system is all standard and this is a standard XF feature to cut off notifications if a thread is not visited.

Hi Morgain,

From what I gather you're under the assumption that if a member doesn't visit your forum for a period of time, they stop getting email notifications on watched threads. If this is correct, then it's incorrect as there is no such function. Email notifications are sent on watched threads (with email notice) indefinitely.

If your members are not getting email notifications there could be several other problems which we would be happy to help you troubleshoot.

For you to accomplish what you want, you will need to modify core files;
Yes. That was what I was asking for.
From my first post:
I assume there's a bit of php somewhere that sets the number of notifications sent before the notification is disabled. So if that was commented out, or set to zero, that would get what I want, and notifications would go on sending.

Hi Morgain,

From what I gather you're under the assumption that if a member doesn't visit your forum for a period of time, they stop getting email notifications on watched threads. If this is correct, then it's incorrect as there is no such function. Email notifications are sent on watched threads (with email notice) indefinitely.

If your members are not getting email notifications there could be several other problems which we would be happy to help you troubleshoot.

Andy this happens on all my boards to me and to other users.
It also happens on here and other admins recognise it.
Basically a thread sends a notification, or up to 3 I think. Then it stops and doesn't send any more until you visit the board.

It means you see eg 2 notified on a thread but when you visit you find there are really 4 or 6 posts.
If you don't visit you don't know they are there. If the first two are not that important you might have no reason to reply. But no. 3, 4 or 5 might be important and you don't know they are there.

Top Bottom