XF 2.2 Disable moderation actions for new mods?

KSA

Is there a way to disallow newly appointed mods from seeing previous moderation actions that have been executed prior to their appointment, specifically deleted posts/threads?

Is there a way to disallow newly appointed mods from seeing previous moderation actions that have been executed prior to their appointment, specifically deleted posts/threads?
In the forum moderator permissions

mod.webp

It's also in the useegroup permissions

Screenshot 2024-02-20 at 10.35.22.webp
NB: make sure you didn't make them an admin or they can view moderator logs if that was enabled in admin permissions.

Last edited:
Thank you for that. Really appreciate the time responding to my inquiry however, that is not what I am looking for. I am interested in enabling them to view content deleted subsequent to their appointment. This means that any moderator actions taken or content deleted prior to their joining would remain invisible to them.

And what's your use case for this?

For privacy reasons, new appointmented mods should not have access to moderation actions done before their appointment.

Who deleted a post
Who issued a warning
Who deleted a thread
Who resolved a report
Who a approved content
Who a approved a user

And the list goes on

all those should be kept confidential.

But it looks liks XF isn't really willing to reform its permission system and report centre.

But it looks liks XF isn't really willing to reform its permission system and report centre.
Like @James said, point out a forum system which does. Because these thinsgs are based on logs. I don't know of any systems preventing to see newly appointed members with log access to view the older logs if present.
Normally logs are a permission thing (view or not view) and not a database thing like "view from certain point or date", which makes this very hard to do if not impossible.
Just like if I would give you root status to a server, I can't prevent you looking at older logs still present, that permission comes with the job given.
So it's either everybody having that job or nobody.

Easier option, create an extra moderator level.
Point newly created members to the first one and deselect the options @Mr Lucky pointed out, and if they are more trusted, upgrade them to the same mod level with these permissions.

If you are really that into privacy, I wouldn't evens start giving moderators log viewing options, I would keep that one for admins only in that case.
I don't understand anyway why mods should see previously deleted content by others, but oke, everybody has it's own views on things.

For most forums what you are proposing would be detrimental. The history of moderation is an invaluable archive for new mods to learn from. Who did what and why is part of that. I agree the report centre needs reforming a bit, not being able to edit or search very well is a pain, but then it's not compulsory, you can just send the reports to a forum and all is fine again.

We have a 40K user forum with almost 100 mods. For privacy reasons, there should at least be an option to restrict access to hostircal moderation actions. For example, we would like to give new mods access to see deleted post/thread but at the same time we don't want them to see who deleted post/thread prior to their appointment. Its a huge and very active online forum so such thing really matter.

We have a 40K user forum with almost 100 mods. For privacy reasons, there should at least be an option to restrict access to hostircal moderation actions. For example, we would like to give new mods access to see deleted post/thread but at the same time we don't want them to see who deleted post/thread prior to their appointment. Its a huge and very active online forum so such thing really matter.
Also can you please elaborate: is this based on prior functionality you've had that you're now missing or is this something you've just experienced and found a purpose for? I'm just curious as to whether you've ever had this functionality and are now without it or are you merely adapting your needs and this is a new requirement?

I'm not judging or nitpicking - I do kind of see purpose for it - I'm just curious as your tone in this thread is somewhat a tone of disbelief as if "I can't believe this doesn't exist" rather than "I really wish this did exist".

I do kind of see purpose for it
I also see its purpose.

BUT
  1. Say you have a forum run by moderators A,B,C and D.
  2. Moderator B deletes a post by User E and issues a warning.
  3. Later on User E becomes a moderator, ie Moderator E.
  4. Moderator E does not want Moderator to find out it was them did the melting and warning.
This implies that Moderator E would be offended and now bear a grudge against Moderator B - not good on a "team."

But it also implies that Moderator E would not accept that what happened when they were User E was fair moderation of their post.

So either Moderator E does not understand that User E transgressed the rules and deserved the deletion/warning, or else that Moderator B was wrong to delete/warn and does not want their action to be open to scrutiny.

Seems like it's all being taken a bit far.

Then what happens when more moderators join.
  • Moderators A,B,C and D can see all the archived actions
  • Moderator E can see only see actions after they joined
  • Moderator F can see only see actions after they joined
  • Moderator G can see only see actions after they joined
  • And so on....

Sometimes two mods discuss a report and need/want to see previous infractions of one user. But they can't all see the same thing...

Top Bottom