Disable Invisible Status by Waindigo [Deleted]

Jon W

Waindigo submitted a new resource:

Disable Invisible Status by Waindigo - This add-on stops users from being able to untick 'Show Online Status'.

Description:
This add-on removes the ability of users to stop themselves from being viewed as online. On install, it will reset all users to being visible whenever they are online.

This add-on includes 3 template modifications to remove the option from:
  • the navigation visitor drop-down menu;
  • the account preferences...

Read more about this resource...

Last edited:
That query is run on install. I figured you wouldn't want it to run again automatically in case you wanted to manually set certain members to be able to go invisible -- i.e., by running a query like:
PHP:
UPDATE xf_user
SET visible = 0
WHERE user_id = 1

In fact, it probably shouldn't run again if you upgrade the add-on either, but since there is only one version I will ponder that later.

That query is run on install. I figured you wouldn't want it to run again automatically in case you wanted to manually set certain members to be able to go invisible -- i.e., by running a query like:
PHP:
UPDATE xf_user
SET visible = 0
WHERE user_id = 1

In fact, it probably shouldn't run again if you upgrade the add-on either, but since there is only one version I will ponder that later.
I admit my method is quick & dirty.... Kind of gave it as an example.

But if X member is staff and later is not staff for whatever reason... Can't very well have him / her running around invisible.

I admit my method is quick & dirty.... Kind of gave it as an example.

But if X member is staff and later is not staff for whatever reason... Can't very well have him / her running around invisible.
Good example, and perfect example of how adding what seems like one small feature (the option for staff to be able to be invisible) makes a very simple add-on that took only a few minutes to make into a much more complicated add-on that makes people's heads hurt.

Good example, and perfect example of how adding what seems like one small feature (the option for staff to be able to be invisible) makes a very simple add-on that took only a few minutes to make into a much more complicated add-on that makes people's heads hurt.
:ROFLMAO:

I'm sorry. It's only a request & a random idea. If it's to much work, don't worry about it.

It also disables the option in the data writer to avoid any attempts to get around this.
I'm curios on how can this be done for normal member?
I did all the modification but some user's still can hide their identities.
Out of 100K+ user's, every month I check, there are 20 to 80 that are hidden.

I'm curios on how can this be done for normal member?
I did all the modification but some user's still can hide their identities.
Out of 100K+ user's, every month I check, there are 20 to 80 that are hidden.
The user basically just reverses the template edit. This is quite easy to do in browsers like Google Chrome where you can edit the HTML of the page that you are looking at and add any HTML that you like. If you have only made a template edit and not made any changes to the background code, it will just work as normal. So, this add-on will ensure that that doesn't work.

Reactions: rdn
I think of that, except they are also an admin of xenforo forum they have an idea to do that.

I think of that, except they are also an admin of xenforo forum they have an idea to do that.
They would only have to be a member of another XenForo forum to know that there is a difference between your site and that one. Still seems like a lot of effort to go to just to not appear online though.

Nice,, still kind of holding out on a user group based permission system of this idea.. I'd ultimately like to make the ability to go invisible a premium option..
I guess you should make a suggestion as this could be included then in the next XenForo release. I like this idea.

Is there a possibility to make it so staff can see hidden users? So staff can see when staff are online? That would be really helpful.

Can you add an option which allows admins to Show Invisible users with just 1 click... Because right now, Invisible users are only shown upon installing the addon and when you disable the addon, users can hide their status again, which is fine.

I just want to be able to 'show invisible users' randomly without the need to uninstall and reinstall the addon.

Thanks.

I have your add-on installed. How come I see this in one of my users' profiles? Am I missing something?

Won't he/she be able to uncheck that (online status) should they find it?

TY.

Attachments

• Screen shot 2014-06-21 at 12.08.27 PM.webp
    Screen shot 2014-06-21 at 12.08.27 PM.webp
    8.8 KB · Views: 18
Top Bottom