Difference Between an Attachment & Insert Image

Alfuzzy

I'm doing some maintenance on my site regarding the size of attachments & inserted images...and was wondering if these two ways are handled differently by Xenforo (separate settings in the ACP)...and if they are...where the settings are located?

In case this is unclear...here's what I'm referring to.

Is there a difference between "Attachments" and "Inserted Images"...and if so...where are the settings for each (max dimensions & max size).

Screen Shot 2023-01-03 at 5.41.03 PM.webp

I do know that the settings for "Attachments" is found: ACP > Settings > Options > Attachments

Wasn't sure where the settings were for "Inserted Images"?

Or do these settings apply to both situations (Attachments and Inserted Images)?

Thanks

The reason why I ask is...I have members on my forum that want to include images/screenshots in their posts.

Sometimes they use the "Attachment" option...and sometimes they use the "Insert Image" option.

Thanks

There are some (minor) workflow differences differences:

• The insert image icon in the editor toolbar allows one image to be inserted from a URL or uploaded as an attachment
    If uploading, the upload process is handled by Froala; during the upload the editor is blocked.
    Aafter the upload has finished the image will be inserted in full dimensions at the current cursor position
  • The Attach files button allows multiple files (not necessarily images but all allowed attachment types) to be selected for upload at once.
    The selected files are queued for upload and the queue is processed by Flow.js
    After the upload has finished the user has the option to insert a single or multiple (or all) images at the current cursor position as either a thumbnail or full size image

Both workflows respect the settings as defined in ACP > Settings > Options > Attachments for uploads; after uploads have finished images will be attachments.

Thanks much Kirby...appreciate the help. Great to hear we only need to worry about one set of ACP settings for both "Attachments" and "Insert Images".:)

One more question please.

Let's say we're only talking about a single uploaded image included in a thread post. Sometimes this single image file in a post falls below all of the text (at the very bottom of a post...below the "Attachments" heading)...and sometimes the single image is within the post text itself.

Is there a reason for this?

Is it because the forum member used the "Attach Files" button...instead of the "Insert Image" button on the toolbar?

Thanks

Is there a reason for this?
Hmm ... I thought I explained the differences in my previous post :(

Is it because the forum member used the "Attach Files" button...instead of the "Insert Image" button on the toolbar?
Yes. Insert Image inserts a full size image attachment at the current cursor position ("Inline Attachment").
This happens automatically.

Atrach files uploads files as attachments. If the files are images they can optionally be inserted into the message body, but the user must explicitly / manually do that.

There are even more ways to upload images (Copy & Paste, Drag & Drop onto the editor, ...)

I suggest to try out all different ways to upload images to better understand how things do work.

Hmm ... I thought I explained the differences in my previous post :(
After re-reading your post above you did.:) But not everyone processes information exactly the same...sometimes I need to rephrase things in a way that works for me. Apologies if you felt like you were answering the same question 2x.

Yes. Insert Image inserts a full size image attachment at the current cursor position ("Inline Attachment").
This happens automatically.

Atrach files uploads files as attachments. If the files are images they can optionally be inserted into the message body, but the user must explicitly / manually do that.

There are even more ways to upload images (Copy & Paste, Drag & Drop onto the editor, ...)
Thanks...good info!

How does this discussion relate to the use of the [img][/img] bbcode? Those seem to be references to online images unless one has additional processing when the message is parsed that converts it to something else.

Top Bottom