XF 1.1 Diagnosing threads not going to last unread post

Mouth

Hi,

Users are reporting issues with the unread functionality, whereby when clicking the thread title (eg. /threads/title.numeric/unread ) from the thread list, they are not taken to the last unread post, but instead to earlier posts. Some example user reports ...

Same here. I marked all forums read earlier today, just opened this thread and it took me to post #21. Read the remaining posts, went back to "Watched Threads", this thread still shows as unread and opening it still takes me to #21.
viewing new posts in watched threads no longer marks them as read for me
I'm also finding that threads I'm watching with new posts aren't showing up in the "Watched Threads" list.

I have CDN active for images and js, as well as cacheSessions and backend Memcached

I'm not familiar with how the functionality/mechanics of unread posts operates with XF, whether it's a database record, user cookie, webserver session variable, or combinations of these etc.

How does one start to investigate and diagnose this issue?

I get this here on xenforo.com if an old thread is bumped.

I think that is related to the read marking lifetime:

Admin CP -> Home -> Options -> Threads, Discussions and Conversations -> Read Marking Data Lifetime

Within that lifetime the "unread" links work. Beyond that (meaning if the user hasn't viewed that thread for longer than this lifetime) then the "unread" link won't work because the read marker has expired.

...I think

I think that is related to the read marking lifetime:
Admin CP -> Home -> Options -> Threads, Discussions and Conversations -> Read Marking Data Lifetime
...I think
I set the lifetime to 180 days on all my forums - seems to do the trick - especially for those irregular visitors who only pop in now and again. (y)

Thanks for the thoughts and ideas. Changed the lifetime on my forum to 180 days too, but that hasn't resolved the issue unfortunately (n)
Short of disabling all add-ons, I've gone through and individually turned-off every add-on that I think could possibly affect forum display or read marking.
Here's a video of the user experience, does that give any insight or further ideas as to what the issue might be?
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Thanks for the thoughts and ideas. Changed the lifetime on my forum to 180 days too, but that hasn't resolved the issue unfortunately (n)

If I understand the system correctly, the change will not be retroactive to existing old threads whose read markers have expired. They will need to be viewed again, after which time the unread links will work within 180 days of originally viewing.

If I understand the system correctly, the change will not be retroactive to existing old threads whose read markers have expired. They will need to be viewed again, after which time the unread links will work within 180 days of originally viewing.

Yes, that was our experience - the read/unread status wasn't imported (everything was effectively marked as read), but the regulars got over it within a few weeks and it was soon forgotten. (y)

Top Bottom