• It is a constant part of my workflow

Votes: 8 44.4%
  • I use it after I am done with everything

Votes: 3 16.7%
  • I use it when things feel slow around my site to help figure out why

Votes: 4 22.2%
  • I use it when a client requests it/general optimization

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have heard of it but have never used it/don't care about page speed so much

• I have a guy for that...talk to him

• I have or have not heard of it but couldn't do anything about it myself anyways

• Wut ???

Votes: 3 16.7%

• Total voters

EQnoble

Normally when designing a style or lately more often than not as it happens redoing someone's style or replicating the style of another portion of their site outside of xenforo and trying to make the forum and the rest of the site feel as one without necessarily needing to be completely integrated, I go about doing what I do and optimizing everything after.

A couple days ago the push was made, I bought the domain, a new xf license, and set it all up to start from scratch. I didn't necessarily have a picture of what I wanted going on in my head but I knew exactly what I wanted (odd as it sounds) and just started modifying and styling and put together the xf style in a completely free form way with a thought filter on everything that included building all of this for two groups or entities, my future community and Google PageSpeed Insights.

I never really cared about page speed before because I generally started out messing around trying to make cool stuff and when you make little things that sit on a page by themselves like an example or an art exhibit you don't really focus on speed because that is not part of the task at hand.

Now that I am trying to completely redo people's sites and also finally putting up my own personal site I have taken to caring about page speed and more so and very particularly how mobile friendly the site is because for instance in my personal projects will have a very large chunk of the people who will be regulars on the site using a mobile device / tablet as their computer will be tied up doing what the purpose of the site itself is about.

Anyways I am really pumped because with basically 3 days straight going hard at it (with very limited sleep) I free handed a design that I really like (just working details now, though there is a lot of details to handle), optimized it and tweaked it to the point that I got this for speed results across every single page in the site/forum and this is with a few small things remaining that I know I can change to get these numbers higher once all my mods are complete...

adasfsd.webp

I'm satisfied enough to this point that I will put the rest of the design stuff on hold and continue where I left off with my integration and verification addon that the site needs to function smoothly and the various supporting modifications that it needs for everything to do what it should in an automated way and before I do that, go back and finish a few things that I need to finish elsewhere for other people.

Either way the moral of the story, Pumped.

Once I get my site completely setup...I just need to see how well I can replicate my site's final results across other projects that I work on.

If you are a designer and have had success in designing a style with google page speed insights as one of your highest priorities feel free to chime in with your experience with it...mine is just getting started and as such I don't have much more I can say detail-wise until the project is truly public and not so much under wraps other than general updates and changes to my insights rating as I add more and more customizations so if you can talk about your project and have had similar success with designing for insights please feel welcome to share.

tweaky tweaky - consistent across all public pages :D

jhjk.webp

I WILL get 100 across the board...that is a promise....for now it's just 13 points to perfection.

Give me those 13 points!

Well I forgot to get back to this thread but here is another snap showing what I saw this glorious morning.
pageSpeedInsights.webp
I now have my recipe for speed, it took a little bit of work to figure out the secret ingredients I was lacking but now I am ready to give all my creations 'the sauce'.

Thanks for the free knowledge Google and Go XenForo, Go.

While I continue to talk to myself in this thread I am making note that I now feel that I have gotten somewhere.

gfdgfdsg.webp
Yslow penalizes me for 30 linebreaks ( c'mon bruh :-/) , ohh well I am not going to optimize that until I am done with development but at least I know I can get 100% on both now once I do go and trim that content.

Temporarily satisfied here on my face of the rock.

I like this EQnoble :) (y)
Looks way better than mine at the moment. Looks like I have some work to do. :eek:

Heh thanks :-)

I am going to start offering optimization services very soon (along with a slew of other offerings) so if you find yourself in need of a hired gun don't hesitate to shoot me a msg and I'll be sure to fire right back with some good news for you ;)

To boot this is also over https :-)

SSL rating:

gdfgdfsg.webp

I have been trying out different server formulas against a static page and a copy of a dynamic site I built and never allowed public access to.

I tried straight up apache and apache plus nginx as a reverse proxy with different various modules and inclusions and then tried a straight nginx setup and to be honest I can't see any real speed difference which would warrant a "this is better and that" statement about it.

My optimized apache setups seem just a touch faster than mixed and straight nginx but being a test right now with a domain with no traffic, the real benefits of nginx are not really seen as nginx seems to gain advantage on sites with heavy traffic. I'll have to do an a/b test on a very active site to see the real world differences for myself.

I was going to test out litespeed as well but having all my speed ratings where they are right now I don't see any advantage to doing so (if I move away from apache or alternately use anything else it will probably be nginx) though the thought of trying out nginx + varnish seems that it may be profitable from what I have been reading.

My SSL rating looks the same Also A and 100/ 95 /90 /90

I had A+ before, but I changed some stuff and they also changed the rating system.
I'm also planning to move to Nginx, but my site is small. I don't know if i'm going to have that much profit from it. My server is fast enough.

The biggest problem with mine at the moment looks like the "jquery-1.11.0.min.js" is not loading defered.

Very nice results. Look forward to take a peek at the site.
For now this is as big of a peek as I can show :
a.webp
Welcome to my web ;-):D

In all seriousness though soon.

I just need to gather some funds up to do the legal stuff surrounding setting up and registering the business, tax id, etc so that I can put all of the contact info on the page and hook in all of the billing and automated services and not feel like I am running some bs operation with no identity.

My company name is still available according to concord and while I don't see any one registering a business with this name I would like to do it sooner than later because you know, Murphy and his twisted laws tend to throw monkey-wrench's in peoples plans.

I'm just trying to operate within the 7P's operational standard :-)

I'm more interested in how you dealt with the default XF js/css to get it up there. Even running pagespeed through the default/blank XF forum will not get it very high.

I'm more interested in how you dealt with the default XF js/css to get it up there. Even running pagespeed through the default/blank XF forum will not get it very high.

For this particular site I did a lot (like built a complete site in notepad++ got it to 100 and then built the xf style to match it and ran through the optimization routine that I do) but even with substantially less effort I had put up a live xf installation for a separate project a couple months back and got it up to 93.

I can't really divulge what I do in detail but I will say that what I do is not a one-stepper and there is a bunch of things you have to be aware of and keep in mind to hit 100 on pagespeed or even 90 for that matter however you can get your xf site up to about [ 84 /100 | mobile ] without really even messing with the default xf js/css inclusions and that 84 pretty much destroys the speeds I see from other forums on any software platform (most vB sites I see all are about 60 sans the vb3.x.x series ).

If you are truly interested in what I can do for you I will legally be available for contractual service agreements very soon.

Wow - 1 second faster is not bad. FireFox 38 can render HTTP/2. :) And 7 days sounds better than 2016. ;)

But can we use that with xenforo and add-ons without big changes in code?

Wow - 1 second faster is not bad. FireFox 38 can render HTTP/2. :) And 7 days sounds better than 2016. ;)

But can we use that with xenforo and add-ons without big changes in code?
I'm not sure we will get http/2 in 7 days.
In 7 days we will see the first 1.9 release, somewhere in the 1.9 release we will get http/2 I think.

Top Bottom