1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Delete user and all posts?

Discussion in 'XenForo Questions and Support' started by Rho Delta, May 28, 2014.

1. Rho Delta

Rho Delta Well-Known Member

I have a user that wants their account deleted as well as all of their posts, how do I go about doing that?
  2. DaveM

DaveM Well-Known Member

Refuse to do it as the content normally belongs to the forum once posted. However @AndyB has an add on to do this.
    Adam Howard likes this.
  3. Adam Howard

Adam Howard Well-Known Member

I agree with @DaveM. If this user made threads, deleting his/her post would take away those threads and all the replies with it.
  4. AndyB

AndyB Well-Known Member

If you delete posts of a user, threads that he has participated in will become very difficult to read as content is missing.

A better option is to edit the users information and do the following:
    1. Change password
    2. Remove all personal details, avatar, user title, signature etc...
    3. Rename user to something else. For example if his user ID was 15743, I would rename to User15743.
    DaveM likes this.
  5. DaveM

DaveM Well-Known Member

Once you do it for one then you have opened the door to have to do it for others.
  6. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

To answer the original question, you could use the spam cleaner and check the first two boxes to remove threads and posts.
    Then delete the account in the ACP.
    creativeforge likes this.
  7. creativeforge

creativeforge Active Member

Hi Brogan,

Is there a step by step tutorial for this?

8. Brogan

9. creativeforge

Thanks, but not exactly. I too have received a request from a user to delete his account and all his posts.
  10. Brogan

A step by step guide isn't required.

Spam clean then delete.
  11. creativeforge

I would not humiliate myself by asking for a tutorial, if I could understand the steps. After I've done it once, maybe I'll understand. But right now, I don't understand the nature of those features. Maybe it is clear for you, so that is why I'm asking for help...

12. Brogan

The spam cleaner is explained on the help page I linked to earlier.

Deleting an account is done in the ACP and doesn't really require explanation - you simply delete the account.
  13. Mike

Mike XenForo Developer Staff Member

If you could be more specific as to what part isn't clear to you, we might be able to be more specific as to how to resolve that.
    creativeforge likes this.
  14. creativeforge

Thanks Mike... I'll try...

I read the content of what Brogan posted.

The Spam Cleaner itself can be run from several locations:

• On a thread or profile post by clicking the Spam link to the right of the time and date.
    • On a member card by clicking the Spam link which overlays the avatar.
    • On a profile page by clicking the Spam Cleaner link below the member name.
    Clicking any of those links will result in a Spam Cleaner overlay from where you can select the actions to be taken. This can range from a simple IP check, to a permanent ban and removal of all content.

1- I enabled the Spam Cleaner permission on the member's User Permissions screen. I also made sure I can use it too, and it's setup properly in my own permissions.
    2- I looked for the SPAM mention when I hover over the avatar on the member's card - not there. In fact I do not see any SPAM mentioned in any of the locations, or the "thread tools" or moderators tools.

I'm using 1.5, so I don't know if this could be a problem. I also changed the style for the default but the words SPAM are nowhere to be found in these locations.

Anything else I can try?

Many thanks!

15. Brogan

The criteria is most likely incorrect.

As it explains on the page:
  16. creativeforge

OK, IMPORTANT: WHERE is that Spam Cleaner User Criteria option located?
  17. Brogan

It's explained right at the top of the help page how to access the spam cleaner options.
  18. creativeforge

I found it in Options/Spam Management. I put everything at 0 for criteria and now I could see the SPAM option.

I think this is much too complicated and dispersed information. I hope there will be a consolidation of these kinds of parameters in the near future... :)

Good night all, it's now 4:20 am here.

19. creativeforge

And please try to answer with complete answers if you are to try and help. Telling me to read a page is not helpful. I read all the time, search the forum, and when I ask for help, I usually spent a good chunk of time trying to solve it by myself. It should be obvious after 5 years of existence and the number of threads (none I found were helpful beyond "it's explained here" or "you have to use this feature." It's not always as straight-forward or "logical" as I expect it to be.

As a user/client, I need to be told where I need to go. Xenforo is complex enough, any practical help is the form of: go here, find this, modify that, and it should work, and btw make sure you verify this or that setting too, because it's connected to this feature, etc. - is welcome. That's what I hope to find, even more so when the sun is about to rise and I'm exhausted...

I mean it to be constructive, not complaining. Thank you!
  20. Brogan

Considerable time and effort has been spent writing those help pages.

Directing you to the page was the correct approach.

It's incumbent on you to actually read it when instructed to do so.
    Amaury likes this.