Lack of interest Deferred Registration for problematic accounts

This suggestion has been closed automatically because it did not receive enough votes over an extended period of time. If you wish to see this, please search for an open suggestion and, if you don't find any, post a new one.

Alpha1

Currently when a user registers an account with problematic details then you can only accept or deny.
An account may have a temp email domain, problematic name, problematic profile fields, website link that conflicts with the rules.
Deleting the account is a waste if the person has legit intentions. All that is needed is that the users fixes up their account.
We get such registration many times per day. However, in default xenforo functionality you can only delete these users. There is no oppertunity for the user to fix it.

This can be solved by adding functionality and a user state to defer registration. Instead of deleting or approving a problematic account, defer it.
On Users Awaiting Approval (/admin.php?users/moderated), staff members would be able to select options like:
  1. Deferred Registration: disallowed email domain
  2. Deferred Registration: problematic username
  3. Deferred Registration: problematic profile field / url

The user would get an email information them of the issue that needs to be corrected and how to resolve this.
The deferred state would allow us to display a notice with the same instructions.
Once the user edits the relevant account section, the account goes back into moderation.

Upvote 3
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
Additionally it would be nice if addons could easily hook into this. There can be various things that you would want a user to resolve before registering. For example reply to a ticket from a Tickets addon.

To further explain this suggestion: I have this functionality for vb/xf1 and its working wonders to stop spammers and low quality registrations. It has worked wonders for a decade.
I have combined it with a email domain whitelist. If the email domain is not whitelisted or blacklisted then the registration is moderated. If the new member is using a throwaway email or a suspect email domain then I defer the registration. If its a spammer then that will be the end of it. If its a valid user then the user has the chance to change the email address and be approved.

Its also very useful if a new member registers with a problematic username or profile content. I can just defer the registration and the member will need to change their account name, before they can be approved. So I dont have to message the user to persuade them to change their name or profile content.

Top Bottom