Debian vs centOS

I've generally gone with Debian+Dotdeb as my server distribution unless cPanel is a requirement for some reason. The community seems pretty broad, though admittedly you end up on the Ubuntu side of town a lot of the time when you're trying to search for a debian solution.

I'm prefer nano than vim.

That is why I choose Debian Family. :D
I believe nano is easier to use too (never did like vim). But generally speaking so is Debian (easier to use).

But you should be made aware that CentOS does have nano too (at least the last time I knew)

PHP:
yum install nano

What is it that you find so hard about Debian?

You, yourself admit that out of the box Debian uses fewer resources.

Nothing hard about it, just a headache to do basic things, like editing a rpm file (which can also be done on the fly without having to rebuild the whole package every time unlike .deb) is infinately easier and quicker than a .deb file.

The whole package install and repository system (yum) is much more mature and intuative than apt or aptitude imho.

I also consider how and where it auto installs some packages to be completely stupid.

And honestly, for the extra "out the box" resource difference, if I was going to quibble about 10mb ram useage.. well.. no comment realy, maybe 15 years ago it was a valid argument. But you consider that CentOS out the box comes with a lot more server management stuff already configured, enabled and running. If you disable those you can get shave off that 10mb.

At the end of the day, its personal preference, and despite using both for some years, I always find myself coming back to CentOS as the top choice.

Nothing hard about it, just a headache to do basic things, like editing a rpm file (which can also be done on the fly without having to rebuild the whole package every time unlike .deb) is infinately easier and quicker than a .deb file.

I think it's been a while since you've used Debian. Editing a deb file is super easy. You can even drag and drop on the desktop to replace files within a deb file. Just like a zip file in Windows.

You can obviously do even more with the command line.

The whole package install and repository system (yum) is much more mature and intuative than apt or aptitude imho.

Unlike yum, aptitude will tell you of any conflicts before installing something, but even take it a step further by offering solutions.

Combine with the use of apt and dpkg you can even (most times) automatically repair bad installs or conflicts that you may have chosen to ignore.

I also consider how and where it auto installs some packages to be completely stupid.

What is wrong with having choices?

And honestly, for the extra "out the box" resource difference, if I was going to quibble about 10mb ram useage.. well.. no comment realy, maybe 15 years ago it was a valid argument. But you consider that CentOS out the box comes with a lot more server management stuff already configured, enabled and running. If you disable those you can get shave off that 10mb.

Our experiences must drastically differ. I recall a much larger gain than 10 MB. Although even if it were only 10 - 20 MB difference, that's still something extra and when tweaking things beyond just stock, that difference is also applied along side it.

And if you're one of those people who like to cram things into smaller VPS servers (for budget reasons for example), say for example 512 MB ram (or less), every free resource is a valuable one.

At the end of the day, its personal preference, and despite using both for some years, I always find myself coming back to CentOS as the top choice.

I think this basically sums it up for everyone. At the end of the day it very well may come down to personal preference.

Like yourself, I've tried alternatives (including CentOS) and I always come back to Debian. Just as you seem to always come back to CentOS. :)

Last edited:
Top Bottom